How to Stay Cool in the Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Temperatures are off the charts. The record high for San Luis Obispo was set in May with 103 degrees reported at the San Luis Obispo Airport. The previous record high for this time of year was 94 degrees, set back in 1970! If you are living on campus and are lucky enough to have experienced the heat without any air conditioning, I’ve researched some tips to help keep you and your room as cool as possible during those scorching days.

We’ll first focus on you. Staying hydrated is the most important thing to do when temperatures rise to uncomfortable levels. Even though soda can sound like the most refreshing thing to have, avoid it! Soda is actually dehydrating, so stick to juices, Gatorades and the classic water. Water can also help keep your exterior cool. Going to the pool or the beach are no brainers, but running cool water over your wrists for a good 10 seconds can help reduce your body temperature for close to an hour. Sometimes the pool can get a little crowded, so taking a cold shower can help cool you down too! Even soaking a washcloth and putting it in the freezer to use on your forehead and neck can relieve you from the heat temporarily.

As for your room, if you don’t have air conditioning, things can heat up FAST — especially if you are on the third or fourth floor of your dorm. The first thing you must do is get a fan! Fans can help move the hot air around and keep you cool enough to be in your room, at least for a little bit. Putting a larger fan near the window can help blow the cooler night air into your room as well, which can help you sleep. Keeping your door open as much as you is also helpful, a cross breeze will develop this way and more fresh air will be circulated throughout the room.

With record high temperatures, there is only so much you can do to cool down, but I hope these tips help those who are without modern air conditioning. Have fun and stay cool!

I am a first year Cal Poly journalism student! I am from Truckee, CA and I love to be outside and listen to reggae
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu