How to Set Up the Perfect Virtual Class Workspace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Virtual learning is the new norm; there’s no escaping that. We had spring to get used to online classes, so this fall we’re ready to own it. Learning online will continue to pose its own problems: family members yelling from the other room while you’re on Zoom, WiFi going out because everyone is online at once and sending endless emails to professors about your technical difficulties. 

We owe it to ourselves to do anything to ease the struggle of online class. One easy way is having the perfect workspace for this virtual quarter. Here’s five simple ways to optimize your workspace. 

Clear off that desk!

It’s impossible to focus in a cluttered workspace for most of us. When you’re beginning to set up your space for online class, start by clearing everything off your desk. Think about what absolutely needs to be on the desk for class time. Personally, this is my laptop, water bottle and a mason jar that holds all my pens and pencils. Figure out what you need during class and try to limit having only those on your desk space. This leaves extra room to write or pull out notes during lecture or discussions.

Optimize your space

Another thing to have on your desk (or underneath it if your prefer) are organizers. Etsy has all kinds of desktop organizers to hold notebooks, binders or other office supplies. Many of them are available for less than $25 and can be found in different styles to match whatever aesthetic you’re going for. 

For storing larger things, Ikea and Target have storage shelves and bins that fit underneath desks. I use these for holding old notebooks, any textbooks I have and any chargers or cables I’m not using. 

Get comfortable 

No matter how you choose to work, make it comfortable for you. If you’re someone who prefers to do Zoom classes from bed, invest in a laptop stand to hold your computer during class. It doesn’t have to be as elaborate as the one pictured above; a laptop stand can be found for around $25 off Amazon.

If you’re working at a desk constantly, either find a chair or nice chair cushion to support your back through those long Zoom calls. In your storage bins or on your desk, have any essentials you need to keep you going (water, lip balm, music).

Get a calendar

Having a calendar or planner is an absolute essential! It can become so easy to forget assignment due dates when you’re not physically going into class. I know I get tired of constantly switching tabs to check due dates on my different class pages online. Having a desk calendar or one up on the wall where you can see it anytime gives a good visual reminder for all your assignments. Mark or highlight the days you have tests, office hours, or meetings with projects groups. Having a planner with dated pages can serve as a good way to remember all your obligations as well.

Make it your own!

Let’s face it, we’re all going to be spending a lot of time at our workspaces this quarter. We might as well make it a cute, comfortable space to be in. Hang up decorations, lights, a desk lamp or whatever else you want to make this space your own. We all deserve Instagram-worthy desks to be productive from. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy or over the top for your space to look cute. It could be as simple as matching a white metal desk organizer to a white power strip for all your chargers. 

Remember, virtual learning isn’t easy for everyone. It definitely is a transition from what we’re used to, so we shouldn’t be too hard on ourselves this quarter. I’m not saying we should all have desks that look like they came straight off a Pinterest board. Having a nice place to work can be simple, and it’s all about making it easy to focus and be productive this quarter. 

Hi, I'm Daytona and I'm a 3rd year journalism major. I love all things beauty and self care related. When I'm not in class or at work, I'm finding new ways to change up my look or go to the beach with my friends.