How to Pick the Perfect Music For Every Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Have you ever had that moment when you’re scrolling through your iTunes library or switching back and forth between Pandora stations because you just don’t know what you want to listen to? You ask yourself “What music am I in the mood for?”  You’ve probably asked yourself this question a number of times without ever really taking into consideration your current emotional state. Are you happy, sad, trying to focus or in need of some encouragement? Though listening to any form of music can make you feel a certain way, different genres of music can have an effect on any mood you are in at the time. Here are a few of them.

Happy

If you’re in a good mood, you want to keep that good vibe going! Upbeat music is a sure way to have your happy mood stay around. If a song makes you tap your foot or want to get up and dance, you are listening to the right song. An upbeat song can cause a release of hormones, like serotonin and endorphins, which are huge factors for being in a happy mood. So play that top-chart single you just love and let the good hormones fill you with good feelings. Put on a song you loved from five years ago, sing it out loud and you’ll get that familiar sense of “Man I loved this song.” Those good vibes you felt then will still probably make you feel just as happy now.

Sad

There are some days where the cloud over your head will not go away. If you are in that gloomy mood, pick out an upbeat song you know will get you out of your funk. But if you need to have that cathartic release, a sad song that brings on the water works may be just what you need. A release of pent-up emotions is a good thing to do every once in a while because it purges the body of negative feelings that can affect a lot in your life. After a good cry and usually a nap, you normally feel a huge amount of weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Sad songs can bring out wide ranges of emotions, from a peaceful nostalgia to “Adele just really understands what I’m going through right now”.

For focus (AKA studying)

As a college student, studying and homework is a huge part of your everyday routine. If you are in the buckle-down-and-get-to-work mood, listening to music while doing homework or studying can greatly improve your focus and memory. Instrumental music is great background music for studying because it doesn’t have lyrics.  Music with lyrics can be a distraction when attempting to study; you may end up singing along instead of focusing on that homework! Classical music and jazz are always go-tos for instrumental music, but there is instrumental folk music and instrumental hip-hop if those are more to your musical preference.  

For encouragement

If you are in the mood to get your sweat on at the gym, upbeat music that gets your heart beat going is the best choice. You know you’ve had that moment at the gym on the treadmill when it seems like every fiber of your body is telling you to quit. If you are rocking out to your favorite tune while climbing the Stairmaster, you will focus more on the music and distract yourself from the signals your body is sending you. That upbeat song will more than likely increase your happiness too, along with the fact you are working hard to get healthy!

All we have to say is… please don’t stop the music.

Hayley is a second year English Major at Cal Poly. When she's not reading or studying for classes, she love baking, cooking, eating the said items which she has baked and cooked, listening to music and wandering around campus to find her new favorite spot. She am an avid tea drinker and tea cake eater; you can normally find her downtown at Scout or Linnaea's on the weekends. She is also a fantatic Pinterest-er and her DIY board is ever growing! She is hoping to go abroad next year to the UK and explore Europe during her time abroad. Also meeting Benedict Cumberbatch would be a plus of going there... If you ever see her around campus, don't be shy to come and chat about anything, whether it be music, food, the smell of the pavement aftter rain, or Benedict himself! 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu