How to Make Your Makeup Last Forever (Or At Least the Day)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

How much time do you put into your morning makeup routine? Ten, twenty, maybe even half an hour of your day can goes towards looking your best for the next 16 hours. Wouldn’t it be great if your makeup didn’t run, smear or fade away so you didn’t look in the mirror at 5 p.m. and say, “What happened to my face?!” All makeup wearers know what we’re saying. Here’s five makeup tips to keep your fabulous look lasting longer.

1.  A prepped face will seal the case.

From personal experience, we know that a well-washed face and good skin care will go a long way to have your makeup stay on longer. If you don’t already, wash your face in the morning. This is crucial for all those oily skinned gals. Overnight, oils can build up in your pores and clog them, making your face super oily and causing makeup to slide off your face. If washing your face makes your skin break out and become dry, use an oil-free moisturizer.

2. You can apply powder more than once.

Powder is applied after your foundation, and after that, you can simply put it back in your makeup bag and never pick it up for the remainder of your routine, right? Wrong. Powder seals your makeup and stops it from running. For instance, when applying under-the-eye eyeliner, take your pressed powder and, using an angled eye brush, dab a little powder under the eyeliner. The powder will act as a barrier and prevent the smudging eyeliner “raccoon effect.” You can also use powder on your lips. After applying a coat of your juicy lip color, pat some powder over it. This will seal any cracks you may have in your lips, making for a smoother application and a longer lasting lip. Then dab a tissue on your lips and re-apply the lip color.

3.  Newsflash: baby powder – not only for babies.

Yes, you read right. Even grown women have a use for baby powder. Before applying mascara to your lashes, shake some baby powder onto a q-tip or clean mascara spool. Use the same motion you would for mascara to apply the powder onto your lashes. It will not only make your mascara hold for the day but will also de-clump and make your lashes appear longer.

4. Makeup time is prime time.

We cannot stress this enough: you have to prime the areas where you’ll be putting makeup on. Priming will prepare your face for a specific type of makeup, such as foundation or eye shadow, and make it stick to your face. There are many primers out there for foundation. Find the one that is best for your skin type; maybe there’s even one for your specific foundation! Also, prime your eyelids. Your upper eyelids can be the most oily feature on your face, and your shadow or eyeliner may not stay put. Use a primer on your upper eyelid for a clean, un-oily canvas to apply your top eye makeup. You can even buy mascara primer.

5. Blot a lot.

Blotting sheets should be an essential in any girl’s purse, bag, whatever. Blotting sheets can soak up the oil that will inevitably form on your face as you go through your day. Blotting will also get rid of any streaks or already smudged makeup, so you will look a bit fresher. If you don’t have blotting sheets, use toilet covers! We know what you’re thinking, “Toilet covers? Are you freaking insane?!” We’re actually not…well maybe a little. Blotting sheets are made of the same material as toilet covers. So if you’re in a pinch, use your resources well.

Cathie Deane is third year History major seeking internships at museums, slowly wanting to work her way up the big leagues in Washington D.C. in the Smithsonian museums. She is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta,  as well as various clubs such as Chinese Student Association, Korean American Student Association, and Pilipino Cultural Exchange.She loves eating pizza, going on Pinterest, listening to music on Spotify, working out and being outdoors, spending time with Christ, and hanging out with friends!Follow her on Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter: @cathiecdeane
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu