How to Make Greek Life Look Good On Your Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

What if I told you that you can really put being in a sorority or a fraternity on your resume? You’re probably thinking, “You mean I can put down how much I love my brothers/sisters and how much fun stuff we do?” Unfortunately no, you can’t put those things on a professional resume that you’ll give you future employers, but here are some things Greek-related that you can put down.

If you’ve ever held a position

If you’ve ever served your fraternity or sorority in some way, either through an officer position, liaison or anything else put that down! And make it look good too! Employers want to know what you can bring to their company, so list all the activities you did while holding that position, and be specific! For example, if you were the chief financial officer, say how much you budgeted, how much money you overlooked and maybe how you kept the fraternities or sororities balance in check.

What skills you’ve acquired through being in Greek Life

I know that the officer position isn’t for everyone and that’s totally okay! Employers are also interested in how well you are able to communicate ideas and concepts to others and what better way to show this then through rush week recruiting! I’m sure this can almost always apply to anyone and everyone in Greek life when I say you’ve talked to potential new members. You can put down that you’ve had experience talking to others and you know how to sell or influence others toward your product (or in this case, your fraternity or sorority).

Community service

I know, I know, you could do community service anywhere and everywhere without it being Greek related, but the plus one you have with being apart of Greek life is that every single sorority or fraternity has a philanthropy. You can show future employers how hard you’ve worked towards your own philanthropy through your fraternity or sorority. Tell them that one time you walked through mud just to help a kid in the Special Olympics or that one time you made so many burritos, your hands couldn’t move just to help children find a home. This will not only show how much you care for a cause, but also showcase how hardworking you are. 

Cathie Deane is third year History major seeking internships at museums, slowly wanting to work her way up the big leagues in Washington D.C. in the Smithsonian museums. She is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta,  as well as various clubs such as Chinese Student Association, Korean American Student Association, and Pilipino Cultural Exchange.She loves eating pizza, going on Pinterest, listening to music on Spotify, working out and being outdoors, spending time with Christ, and hanging out with friends!Follow her on Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter: @cathiecdeane
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu