How To Make A Career Out of Blogging

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Blogging has become more than just a hobby. For some people, it’s their job.

There are hundreds of different websites out there that can help you start your very own blog. It takes less than a minute to sign up and just like that, you’re a blogger. Sure, you can personalize your page and add all sorts of features, but it doesn’t take much to run a blog.

However, a lot of people are taking their blogs to the next level and are actually receiving revenue for their work.

From the outside, blogging really does seem like the dream job. All you have to do is find something you’re extremely passionate about and start typing. You basically get paid to sit at home, in your pajamas and tell complete strangers about your latest obsession.

However, professional blogging (I’m talking about actually making a career out of blogging) is definitely one of those things that’s way easier said than done. You have to be extremely dedicated and endlessly creative in order to keep people interested in what you have to say. Coming up with fresh content every day can be a challenge, but that is really the key to being a successful blogger.

Of course, there are people who write hundreds of posts about puppies or Harry Styles, and, although those can be very entertaining to read, they aren’t usually the types of blogs that make any money. Believe me, if I could make money talking about Harry Styles’ hair, I would. It was probably easier a few years ago when blogging was brand new. Today, there is so much information out there and the Internet is full of endless and useless information. You have to find away to stand out from the rest.

So before you quit your job, try to gain some blogging experience. Perhaps join Tumblr and see what kind of traffic you can bring in and how your audience responds to what you’re saying.

First things first, you have to decide what it is you are going to write about.  Keep in mind, if it exists, there’s probably already a blog about it. If you want to write about a popular topic like technology or cooking or makeup, you have to find a way to make your blog unique.  Ditch the ‘if you build it they will come’ mentality. If you post it, they might come. And even then, they might not like it and may not ever come back. You’ve got to go above and beyond.

One of the most important things to do is find a happy medium between quality and quantity. Of course, some posts may be better than others and you might even miss a day of blogging because something else comes up, and that’s okay. But finding that balance is crucial.  Just because you write a million posts doesn’t mean they’re necessarily interesting. On the other hand, if you write the greatest piece of all time but it’s the only thing you ever post, then that doesn’t work out very well either.

If you still only have seven followers after a few months of posting, either switch up your content and completely redefine your blog, or maybe, it might be time to let the dream die. Certainly, you can keep blogging for your own enjoyment, but I wouldn’t depend on it as your main source of income.

Maybe, that isn’t the case for you. Let’s say your blog totally takes off and you’re getting thousands of hits a day. And now you’re thinking, “Wow! I’ve made it! I can drop out of school, move back home and blog for the rest of my life!” You might want to hold off on that for just a little bit longer.  In order to start bringing in any real money, you’ll need to get some advertisers on your side. Putting ads on your site is the best way to make a profit. You’ll need a solid fan base before a company even considers working with you. After that, you have to do whatever you can to expand and bring in new fans.

A lot of bloggers also get involved in promotional partnerships with specific brands. These types of business deals might include testing out a company’s new product and talking about it on your blog. You might wear a certain article of clothing in a video you post and then link your viewers to the store’s site. Not only will you get paid for your part in advertising, but you’ll also receive a bunch of free stuff. C’mon, I mean, who doesn’t like free stuff?

Another approach people take is to offer their followers special sale codes or access to contests. Humans are a needy bunch and we get bored rather quickly. You have to hold on to our attention because if you lose it for even a second, we’re gone. Prizes are always a nice incentive that help keep people hooked.

Don’t expect fame and fortune to happen over night. Your bank account will grow as your blog does, and that takes time.

Some bloggers will rise to the top and before they get involved in advertisements or business deals, they sell their blog and all their followers to the highest bidder.

There are also companies out there looking to hire bloggers. Your job description would, literally, be to blog for that business. There may also be some freelance blogging positions available. The positive side to being an officially hired blogger is that you have more security because you’re guaranteed a paycheck. The negative is that you may not be talking about stuff you’re particularly passionate about.

Starting a brand new blog from scratch is obviously more challenging. Many people compare starting your own blog to starting your own business. It’s a fair comparison and they are essentially the same thing. You have to publicize, network and make a name for yourself. The difference is, you have to do this all from the other side of a screen. There is no face-to-face interaction and it can be difficult to find people who care what you have to say when they don’t even know who you are.

Let’s just be frank. Blogging is incredibly tough and you may spend countless afternoons screaming at your laptop when a serious case of writer’s block sets in, but it can also be wonderful and fun and an opportunity to learn something new.

The key is to keep going. Blog and blog until your fingers fall off and then blog some more. If blogging is something you really see yourself doing, then go for it!

R.M.

Cal Poly

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8