How to Look Classy in 10 Minutes or Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

There should be a Cal Poly campus drinking game where every time you see a girl sporting yoga pants and a sweatshirt, you take a shot. Okay, no there shouldn’t, because that would be dangerous. Comfy clothes have long been a staple for college women, and we understand why: they’re form-flattering and require minimal effort. But is the lack of energy required to jam on some Victoria’s Secret sweats really an advantage? After all, it’s pretty hard to exude maturity and poise when you’re rocking clothes you could sleep in — and you never know who you’ll need to impress for a recommendation or career connection. So back away slowly from the Uggs, because we’re going to show you how to look pulled-together in 10 minutes.

Step 1: Apply makeup

When it comes to cosmetics, a little goes a long way! (Not that we don’t love wearing a full face, from dramatic fake eyelashes to bold lip color. But you’re on a schedule here.) Each facial focal point gets one product — mascara for your eyes, blush for your cheeks, lip stain or lip gloss for your mouth. A simple, pretty look that takes about two minutes.

Step 2: Do Your Hair

Unless you’re one of the incredibly rare and lucky women that can spring out of bed with hair already gorgeous and perfectly tousled — in which case we hate you — a quick up-do is your best friend. We suggest that your hairstyle come with a twist, which will imply some effort. Putting your hair up in a pony? Use a tortoise-shell clamp, cute headband or fancy hair-tie to jazz it up. Buns or braids more your style? Do a sock bun or a side-braid. Ordinary hair can be elevated by the simplest of touches, and by the time you’re done, you’ll still have five minutes to get dressed.

Step 3: Get dressed using an easy outfit formula

You thought completing your Area B GEs meant you’d used your last formula … Think again. Putting together a cute outfit can be incredibly easy if you follow some basic principles.

• Riding boots + straight-leg dark-wash jeans + girly top + classy jacket (blazer, cardigan, etc.) = pretty and polished
  • Combat boots + thick knit socks + leggings + v-neck + parka = stylish grunge (extra credit: add a scarf!)
  • Ballet flats + simple pants + button-up + denim jacket + statement necklace = French chic
  • Smoking slippers + jeans + collared shirt + oversized sweater = preppy and cute
  • Ankle booties + tights + patterned dress + leather jacket = sophisticated but fun

Some other fashion rules that will help you get dressed quickly: when in (proportion) doubt, go with one loose or flowy article of clothing, and one tight; scarves and sunglasses hide a multitude of sins; a plain white shirt paired with some red lipstick is one of the classiest looks ever; Lululemon workout apparel and/or Nike shoes do not belong in real outfits; putting on a couple rings, bracelets, or necklaces instantly adds some sartorial interest; and don’t be afraid to wear all black — it looks hot and slightly edgy.

Put a little effort into getting ready in the morning — just 10 minutes, that’s all we ask! — and you’ll be ready for anything the day throws at you. We’ll see you in bed, lounge pants. 

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.