christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Free Yourself from Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Have you ever stopped to really ponder why you posted pictures of yourself at a party on your Snapchat story? Tweeted a funny quote from a professor? Or Instagramed a picture of yourself at the top of a mountain?

No matter what you posted somewhere in the cyber-world, the reason why you did it should be an area of personal reflection.

More often than not, you probably posted something for others to see. Isn’t that the idea of social media? It’s great to share our lives with others, but this act can easily begin to consume our lives.

I recently realized in my own life that I was posting on various social media sites looking for validation from my peers. Phrases like “Wow! You traveled all around over break!” and “Your life looks so exciting!” were more than compliments. It’s gratifying to hear people be impressed with your life. But this can quickly become unhealthy.

This ideology can turn into posting on your Snapchat story everyday with new geofilters, amazing views and pictures of outings with friends. It leaves you feeling trapped by the need to post on social media for all to see.

It took me a long time to realize that the reason for my obsessive posting was no longer purely for myself but to impress my friends and followers.

When possible, I encourage you to analyze your motivations for posting something.

Sometimes, posts on social media do have good intentions. Maybe you wanted to share the beauty of the sunset you just watched or to spread the message of an important cause.

But I warn you to be careful of falling into the pit of needing validation from others. Your life should be lived for you and not anyone else.

Being self-fulfilled will not only help you live a happier life, but it will also rub off on those around you.

The most admirable people, in my opinion, are those who don’t care what other people think about them. They have achieved a type of self-love and appreciation that some people strive for their whole lives.

To start this process, begin noticing moments when you would have pulled out your phone to post something.

Think about how important it is in the grand scheme of things. And then decide whether or not to proceed.

Pulling out your phone often ruins the moment, whether it be funny, beautiful, rare or exciting. Sometimes it’s just better to take it all in for yourself.

Louis C.K explained this feeling in his interview on Conan by saying that it’s important to “just be yourself and not be doing something.”

I was surprised at how often I had the urge to pull out my phone once I was aware of my intentions. It has become so natural in today’s society to capture everything around us.

But I promise you that you will feel liberated and happier once the burden of constant social media updates is lifted.

It is the key to a happy life in our technology-ruled world.

Katy Barnard is a Graphic Communications student at Cal Poly SLO. Her passions include photography, design and music. Katy loves going on adventures, hanging out with friends and laughing around the dinner table with her family. She is very excited to share her thoughts with the world through Her Campus Cal Poly!
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.