ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Beat the Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. And if 102 degrees is not a desperate measure, then I don’t know what is.

As the heat wave rolls in, we ditch the heavy blankets we cherished in winter quarter and frantically dig out our bathing suits. Heading to the beach (or preferably any place with cold water) becomes our number one priority. Suddenly Yogurt Creations never tasted so good and a cold bottle of water never has been so appreciated.

Below are ways to survive the unforgiving heat that you can utilize to conquer the duration of the spring quarter heat extravaganza.

1. Sleep Cooler

Start by chilling your mattress. Put soft gel ice packs on top of your mattress and underneath your sheets. You can fill a cotton sock with rice and freeze it. Then, place it in between the sheets. The rice is believed to hold a stronger chill than the ice packs and keep you cooler, longer.

Mother Nature Network suggests bagging your sheets and tossing them for an hour or two in the freezer before you go to sleep.

I think we can all agree when I say trying to fall asleep overheated is one of life’s most uncomfortable challenges. Sleeping with chilled sheets helps to cool your body temperature and further ensures a better nights sleep.

2. Just add water

Drink water frequently! Try to label your water bottle so you can monitor how much water you consume and make sure you are drinking enough water. Adding mint leaves or orange slices to your water makes it more refreshing.

Running cold water over your wrists for 10 seconds on each hand is known to temporarily relieve you of being overheated for roughly an hour. This is a nifty trick for those rushing around on campus. Staying cool from class to class is important.

Visiting the pool at the Recreation Center is always an easy option. Enjoying the crisp cold water with some friends makes the heat enjoyable. Playing volleyball or working on your tan for the summer are just a couple ways you can turn the horrid heat into a treat.

When all else fails, take a cold shower. It will wake you up and make you feel more alert.

3. Alter your diet

Freezing bags of chopped fruits, such as watermelon or lemons, is a smart and healthy way to stay cool. Also, consider consuming more mint foods and products. Mint refreshes the skin and leaves a nice cooling sensation. Using lotion with peppermint, showering with peppermint soap, or something as simple as drinking mint tea will do the trick. As last resort, eating spicy foods is never a bad option. Spicy food increases perspiration, which cools the body as it evaporates.

Lastly, I have two more additional tips that you may not have been aware of.

Even though I highly suggest sticking to drinking only water, I am aware that caffeine is essential to college student survival. So the next time you are preparing your ice coffee, try pouring the coffee into an ice tray. Then when you make the ice coffee, put the ice caffeine cubes into your coffee to avoid watering it down.

Additionally, to chill a beverage quickly, wrap a wet paper towel around your drink and put it in the freezer. In about 15 minutes, it will be almost completely ice cold.

And there you have it: a few quick and easy tips that you can utilize to endure the heat. I wish you the best of luck in conquering the humid weather. May the odds forever be in your favor.

Samantha is a second year journalism student at Cal Poly. On campus, she is a staff writer for the Mustang News, editor for Her Campus Cal Poly, a board member on the American Marketing Association and plays intramural soccer. She loves to write, wear pajamas and re-watch episodes of The Office on Netflix. She aspires to have a career in broadcast journalism or law and hopes to someday travel around the world.
Sophia Liu

Cal Poly '19

Sophia Liu is a second-year architecture major and media arts minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She grew up in a little town in Los Angeles County. A wild dreamer, she loves photography, fashion, and big cities.