freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to be Your Own Valentine & Not Have an Emotional Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Uh oh, it’s happening again. Valentine’s Day is approaching and you can’t help but panic because you don’t have a Valentine of your very own. The way you see it, you can either (A) hyperventilate, (B) call your mom and cry it out, (C) post a desperate ad on Craigslist, or (D) none of the above. What can you do other than have a complete mental breakdown? You can be your own Valentine!

Yes, this is a serious suggestion! Rather than falling victim to the curse of not having a significant other at the time, you can use this as an opportunity to spend much needed time falling in love with yourself. There’s a common saying that goes something like: “You can’t love someone else until you love yourself” – and perhaps this is the reason you don’t have a Valentine this year. Self-love is very important and will make you a more confident person overall, which makes it easier to attract potential suitors for next year!

So, how do you go about being your own Valentine? Follow these seven simple steps and you’ll be good to go!

1. Ask yourself out.

Send yourself a Valentine’s love letter from “a secret admirer” and list all the things you like about yourself. Say that you can’t bear to be apart any longer and would like to spend Valentine’s day together. Set a specific time (exact details will help with the nerves), and draw cute little hearts all over the page. Make it as if the letter was going to someone you really love – because you deserve it!

2. Create a plan!

Write down everything that a perfect Valentine’s date would include. Maybe it’s dinner at your favorite Italian restaurant downtown, followed by some light shopping and a late night rom-com. Or, it could be a beach day at Avila – complete with frozen yogurt and beachside shops (shopping always makes for a perfect day). Whatever your preferences are, make a full itinerary with some rough time guidelines to follow. Don’t be afraid to go all out!

3. Dress to impress.

Put on the cutest outfit you own (this is Valentine’s Day – no sweats allowed, unfortunately), do your hair and makeup in the way that makes you feel the most confident about yourself, and don’t forget to Snapchat it! Share with the world how happy and amazing you look. Don’t be afraid of what others will think – caption it “ready for my hot date” and add a winky emoji! This will put you in a fun and excited mood, meaning the Valentine’s date is sure to go well.

4. Get yourself a gift.

Valentine’s Day is known for its cheesy bouquets of flowers, giant teddy bears, and fancy boxes of chocolates. Treat yourself to your dream Valentine’s present(s), and make it look perfect! Post a quick picture to Instagram (bragging is a huge part of the experience), and text it to your mom to show that your Valentine is the best. Feel free to eat a couple chocolates before you leave.

5. Be prompt!

Try your best to stick to the schedule – maybe even have dinner reservations set so you hold yourself accountable. Go throughout the date and enjoy yourself, but stay aware of the time so you don’t leave anything out. Going to more places in a smaller amount of time will keep you attentive and invested in what you’re doing. Of course, leave room for some spontaneity – surprises add to the adventure.

6. Love yourself!

Make loving comments throughout the day, remembering to compliment yourself on the small things. The point of this is to stop the self-hate and grow a stronger relationship with yourself. Flirt here and there, and treat yourself like a crush you’ve had for ages. Get to know yourself again – ask plenty of questions and keep it positive. Smile a lot, it’ll make you happier!

7. End it right.

Think of the perfect ending to the rom-com that is your night. It could be a small bowl of ice cream while watching funny cat videos in bed, or just Skyping with your family and telling them about your amazing Valentine’s Day. Either way, take some time to wind down from the fun events of the day and reflect on what you’ve learned. Thank yourself for the great date and write yourself another love note to read in the morning. Make it so that when you finally go to sleep, there’s nothing weighing heavy on your mind.

That’s all there is to it! Stick to this guide and you’re sure to have the Valentine’s Day of your dreams – all by yourself! You don’t need another person to make you happy. Just learn to love yourself, and the rest will come easy. Good luck!

Sarah Drake is a (literally) colorful girl who loves music, food, puppies, and sleeping. You can find her around campus holding coffee and excitedly ranting about something random.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.