How and When to Make the First Move

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The sun is shining, summer is approaching and cute guys are randomly appearing all over campus. You can’t help but stare as they walk past you, but when eye contact is made, all eyes immediately hit the ground. As you walk away, you can’t help but think to yourself, “Why did I just do that?”

This is where the trouble begins. One question that I hear too often is whether or not women should ask a guy out. The answer is usually a blatant no way.

Why?

As girls, we have been spoon-fed ideas of the “perfect” romance with Prince Charming with a chariot awaiting in the background, or John Cusack holding his boom box outside our window. We are constantly bombarded with reminders that if the man isn’t the one making moves in the relationship, then he will feel emasculated and possibly lose interest. Women are supposed to sit back, look pretty and wait to be asked out on a date. We are always looking for that attractive male with just the right amount of confidence, but how long are we willing to wait?

Instead of doubting yourself and using the typical “why don’t guys like me?” question, why don’t women go for what they want and ask a guy on a date? There aren’t many reasons why you shouldn’t, so why not take a chance and see what happens? This gives women the opportunity to go for a guy they think is attractive and steer clear from those weirdos who hit on you at the bar. With texting and apps like Tinder, girls are already taking the initiative to talk to guys — just in a safe zone.  Sure, approaching a guy may be intimidating, but this puts you in control of your dating destiny!

I say forget what we know and go with the new. There are plenty of guys out there who would love to have a girl approach them; we see it quite often on Cal Poly Confessions, for crying out loud. Guys fear their way of showing interest will give us the wrong impression and weird us out, so let’s change it up and try something different. You never know who you’ll end up meeting.

Here are some fun tips to show a guy that you’re interested:

1. Buy him a beer 

For all of the ladies who are 21, if a cute guy catches your attention, send him a beer! This will let him know that you’re intrigued, giving him the opportunity to talk to you and make the next move.

2. Go on a guy-friendly outing

Find out what he’s interested in or what he did the previous weekend. Try surfing, hiking or the shooting range; this will allow him to see how much fun you guys have together and how adventurous you can be. Starting off as good friends can lead to great things, girls.

3. Check out a concert

There are plenty of spur-of-the-moment concerts along on the Central Coast, so why not go together? Find out what kind of music he likes — or maybe you both have similar taste. The Mid-State Fair is quickly approaching and there will be plenty of great country artists, so snag a pair of tickets and go together. This doesn’t apply too much dating pressure and allows you both to have a great time.

4. Have a group hangout night

If you don’t feel comfortable hanging out with him by yourself just yet, then get a group of your friends together and hang out. Whether it’s making food, watching movies, or hitting the beach, this will give you two a chance to get to know each other better and feel relaxed.

Go get ’em, ladies!

Third year Broadcast Journalism major, future sports reporter. Lover of all things chocolate, outdoorsy, and sports related. If you can't find me, I'm most likely watching Netflix.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.