At-Home Facial Masks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The time has come again. Dead week has struck. Instead of stressing out on projects, finals or essays, we all need some relaxing time. In order to ace your tests, you need to take a deep breath and get some beauty rest.

Due to increased stress, you may have some breakouts, or be a little dehydrated (caused by coffee, lack of sleep and stress.) You should have a little spa day for yourself and try these masks! Most are made with essentials from your kitchen and refrigerator.

Banana Mask

1/4 plain yogurt

2 tablespoons honey

medium banana

Mash the banana into a smooth paste. Add the yogurt and honey and mix well. To apply, use your fingers or a makeup brush. Let it set for 10 to 20 minutes, then rinse off the paste with cold water.

Bananas help the skin feel tight and replenished. Honey is great for your skin because it can prevent or treat acne, prevent aging (honey is full of antioxidants!), boost your complexion and even open up the pores.

Lemon Mask 

1 lemon

1/4 olive oil

1 tablespoon sugar

Squeeze all the lemon juice and put in a container. Mix in the olive oil and sugar and gently scrub your face with the mixture. Rinse off after 5 minutes with warm water.

This lemon mask is great for an exfoliator. Not only will this smell like lemonade, but the lemon will actually brighten up your complexion. Also, if you have dark spots such as acne scarring, lemon is a great lightening reagent. Lemon is also great for anti-aging because it’s full of antioxidants like calcium, vitamin C, potassium, and magnesium. This can also help remove blackheads.

Oatmeal Mask 

1 packet of oatmeal

1 tsp honey

1 tsp olive oil

1 tablespoon of water

Mix the oatmeal and water until it forms into a thick paste. Add in the honey and olive oil to the oatmeal paste. Apply gently to your face and exfoliate. Avoid your eye area and rinse off with warm water. Pat dry and feel refreshed!

This mask is also a great alternative to the lemon mask. The oatmeal has antioxidants and anti-flammatory benefits, while the olive oil helps moisturize your skin. This is great for sensitive skin!

Green Tea

1 pack of green tea or chamomile tea

1 avocado

Make green tea with your tea packet. Let the water cool down. Mash an avocado and add some of the green tea until it becomes a thick paste. Put on your face for 15 to 20 minutes and rinse off with cool water. Pat dry.

This mask is considered more as a detox. The avocado helps moisturize skin because of its healthy essentials oils (vitamin A), while the green tea has a lot of antioxidants that help anti-aging and minimizes redness. Your skin will feel more firm and refined after this refreshing mask!

Remember ladies, our skin needs some love too. These masks are great for college students because they are easy, quick and inexpensive. A nice relaxing spa day is definitely a must after a long study session at the library!

Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu