Hitting the Trail: Top 10 Backpacking Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Living in San Luis Obispo gives us plenty of opportunities for outdoor adventure. We’re close to the beach and mountains; plus, we’re within driving distance from tons of campsites and national parks along the California coast. With summer just around the corner, you may be thinking about taking some trips with your friends. Maybe you know some extra-gutsy peole who are interested in taking advantage of California’s countless backpacking trails. Always wanted to try backpacking but nervous about a first-time trip? Here’s what you need to know.

1)   Footwear: you need a pair of good hiking boots. This one’s essential. Don’t plan on setting off on your journey in the sneakers you wear to the gym. While hiking boots provide more general support than regular sneakers, they’re also more waterproof, which can be a lifesaver when crossing a river or stream. Hit up an outdoor adventure store and invest in a pair of sturdy boots with ankle support. Talk to a salesman and make sure you find your perfect fit– an uncomfortable pair of shoes can ruin a trip. Make sure to break your boots in before your trip, as this will get you more comfortable with their fit and decrease your amount of blisters!

2)   Leave your Jansports and book bags at home. For a multi-day backpacking trip you’ll need something a bit bigger and sturdier. Find a backpacking pack (brands like Osprey, Dueter, and Northface sell good ones) that has a belt that fastens around your waist. That way, the majority of the weight of your gear will be resting on your hips rather than your shoulders.

3)   Cotton t-shirts are not the way to go for long backpacking trips. They aren’t water resistant and get sweaty and stinky fast. Stick to synthetic and water-resistant materials. They are easier to move around in and allow your body to breathe.

4)   Packing light is incredibly important because you’ll be carrying all of your own gear as you hike. Depending on how long your trip is, you can get by with one or two lightweight shirts and pairs of hiking pants. Make sure to be prepared for whatever environment and weather you will be camping in, but try to bring as little as possible. You can divvy up group gear like food, stoves, water and toiletry supplies between the people you are hiking with so that everyone is carrying about an equal amount.

5)   Bandannas and duct tape are the little known life-savers of the wilderness. A bandanna can be used as a plate or napkin of sorts to eat your lunch on, or can be used as a towel, washcloth, bandage, or as sun protection. Pack a few. Duct tape has a number of uses, including protecting your heels from blisters, protecting your hips from the chafing of your backpack belt and patching up anything you might need to. Stick a roll in your group gear.

6)   As far as food is concerned, make sure to bring non-perishables. Plan your meals ahead before your trip so you’re sure that you pack enough for each meal! For lunch, stick to easy snacks like crackers, salami, beef jerky, trail mix or granola bars. For breakfast and dinner, you should bring dry or freeze-dried food that you can heat up on a propane stove. I like to bring oatmeal packets that I can put in boiling water in the morning. Pastas, instant rice and casseroles are filling and nutritious dinner options.

7)   You are most likely going to the wilderness to get a break from your busy, fast-paced life in the real world. Backpacking trips are the perfect time to unplug, so leave the iPods and phones at home. You’ll get plenty of downtime and relaxation once you reach your campsites, and you’d be surprised by how many hours of entertainment a small deck of cards and a lightweight, paperback book can provide. Take advantage of your natural surroundings and go for a swim or try some yoga. Leave your answering emails and Instagramming for later.

8)   Staying hydrated is one of the most important things to remember when you’re hiking all day long. Be sure to either bring a Camelbak or two 1-liter water bottles in your backpack. Also, if you can, make your camp by a river or lake so you can refill your bottles (after purifying the water of course), and have water for cooking and washing. To purify water, you can buy either a special water filter or purifying tablets.

9)   Bug spray is absolutely key! You’ll probably be camping by a body of water, and that’s where the bugs like to hang out. Cover yourself in that stuff, and if the situation’s really bad, add a few extra layers of clothing. Those mosquitos can be nasty.

10)  It’s important to keep a very open mind when going backpacking for the first time. You’ll be in an entirely different environment than you’re used to, and the change of setting and routine can be unsettling. Go into your trip willing to get real close to the people you’re with: hours on the trail can lead to some pretty extensive conversations, as can lying around and looking at the stars after a long day of walking. Being in the wilderness together creates a special bond between people, so be willing to make the most of that. Happy hiking!

Hi! I'm Melanie VandenBerghe. I'm a second year english major at Cal Poly with a passion for literature, art, and film. In addition to writing for Her Campus, I serve on the executive board of the Cal Poly English Club and am an active member of Greek Life. In my free time I enjoy netflix, good food, and occasionally going outside.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu