This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

If you’ve taken a stroll down Monterey Street in San Luis Obispo recently, you probably know that there’s a new business in town – The Kinney SLO! A contemporary hotel located roughly half a mile from Cal Poly, The Kinney offers a home away from home to visiting alumni, parents of local students, or anyone looking for a weekend getaway in the happiest city in America. Not only do they have amazing accommodations for out-of-towners, they also have Leroy’s, a lively arcade and restaurant for anyone looking to kick back and  Recently, Her Campus Cal Poly got the chance to tour The Kinney and Leroy’s and can’t wait to share with you everything we learned about this incredible new business!

They’re all about community.

When you visit The Kinney, one of the first things you’ll notice is that most of their decor is meant to reflect SLO’s laid-back, college town vibe. The foyer is filled with pictures and knick-knacks that will bring back fond memories for Cal Poly alumni and guests. Their connection to the community goes beyond the college, though – most of the beer, wine, and food they serve is locally sourced from some of the finest breweries, vineyards, farms and ranches in SLO county. These experiences aren’t limited to guests – locals are welcome to come by anytime to kick back by the fire pits on the patio or enjoy a game of skee ball at Leroy’s!

The rooms will make you miss dorm life.

At The Kinney, you can choose from several different rooms, including the Campus King, Campus Queen, or Campus 2 Queen! Looking to relax in style? Then check out the Grad Suite, Professor’s Suite, or Dean’s Suite – each one comes with its own upgrades, including amenities like a Starbucks CV1 coffee brewers, a 55” HDTV, and a separate living area for entertaining guests. Each space has beautiful artwork that will remind you of  the posters you once hung on your dorm room wall, and charming decorative pillows reminding you of the old Wilson Mizner quote, “If you steal from one person, it’s plagiarism, if you steal from many, it’s research.”

They take fun seriously.

One of The Kinney’s main goals is to make sure that every guest at their hotel and restaurant fully enjoys their visit. You’ll find both their indoor and outdoor areas to be spacious and inviting, with activities for visitors and guests to enjoy at their leisure. In the Quad, there are giant versions of classic games like Scrabble, and a heated outdoor pool and hot tub where you can relax after a long day of exploring SLO. And the fun doesn’t stop there – if you head over to Leroy’s, you’ll find they have a rotating selection of wine and beers on tap! You can enjoy a tasting flight specially prepared by Leroy’s innovative staff, or enjoy a taste of their monthly pour!

Eat Leroy’s, SLOcals save.

Located close to downtown, Leroy’s is a great place to visit if you’re looking for a good deal on great food. They serve delicious made-to-order meals like smoked bacon IPA mac n’ cheese, the Monterey burger, and seared rare ahi tuna salad – and the best part is, locals, get 10% off! The savings don’t stop with the food- wash it down with a refreshing cocktail like the Bubblegum Alley Fizz. If you prefer, you can choose from over 30 different beers and wine served on tap or by the glass or bottle. Students get a special deal too – just slip your school ID to the bartender at Leroy’s and you’ll get access to a special menu only available to college students!

They love playing host.

Looking for a place to host your next networking event? The Kinney has got you covered! They have two venues – The Gallery and The Library – available for socials and meetings throughout the year. Each room is equipped with the latest and greatest in A/V and wifi technologies, and professional service from staff at The Kinney is available to you throughout your event. Need food at the event? Leroy’s will handle that – they have full-service catering menus available for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert, and are happy to provide coffee and light refreshments for you and your guests any time of day.

Although new, The Kinney already has such a strong connection to the community and so many opportunities to relax and play, rooms are sure to fill up fast! Whether you’re a local, a visiting parent, or just an out-of-towner looking to get away for the weekend, be sure to make reservations at The Kinney, SLO for your next visit!

Audrey is a senior studying agricultural sciences at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. After graduating, she plans to get a teaching credential and master's in Agricultural Education, and pursue a career as an agricultural science teacher and FFA advisor. Outside of school, she works as a teaching assistant at a local high school. In her free time, she can be found square dancing, rocking out to Taylor Swift, or whipping up tasty treats and (attempting) to take a decent photo of them for Instagram. Facebook: Audrey Lent Twitter: @TheAudreyLent Instagram: @Audrey_Lent