Harrison Joseph Trubitt I: Poly’s Passionate, Patient, and Poppin’ Heartthrob

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

In the dictionary, next to the word “charismatic,” there is a picture of Harrison Joseph Trubitt I wearing Chubbies Shorts.

Let me tell you about this amazing guy. When I interviewed Harrison, I had already known that he was one of those people that anyone would be lucky to hang out with, but I had no idea how popular he really was until the third or fourth time our interview was interrupted by familiar passerbys who wanted to give him quick hellos.

Who can blame them though? This man is funny, clever, and has a grin that makes the sun come out. When asked to describe himself in just a few, select words he chose: “Passionate, patient, and poppin’.” (Watch out! Your English major with a minor in religious studies is showing in that alliteration.) This description, however, doesn’t even begin to cover the greatness that is Mr. Trubitt. That analysis goes just about as deep as his tattoos; you can get an inkling of what he’s about, but you really have to talk to the man to get the full story.

Harrison leads his life, first and foremost, with passion, stating that “You gotta live your life excited and if you’re not laughing or crying or not living your life to its potential, you’re really wasting it because life is short.” This was most certainly a main theme of the interview. Passion came up in many of his statements, but his zeal for life isn’t all that we discussed.

Leading a lifestyle that is somewhat carpe diem-esque in nature, Harrison delves into as many activities as he has time for. To name a few items from his impressive repertoire, he is associated with Christian organizations such as Young Life, Cru, and the Newman Center, as well participating on the planning committee for Anthem, a slam poetry event that happens every year. In fact, if you were lucky you might have seen him writing love poems on a typewriter around Valentine’s Day for Anthem’s fundraiser. If that wasn’t enough, he also teaches a rap/hip-hop creative writing class at juvenile hall and leads a youth group with the mission. By all of his reports, the kids love him.

For downtime, however, he enjoys both outdoor activities, such as hiking, camping, or sailing, and indoor inactivities, explaining that he just finished watching the original Gilmore Girls series for the first time (and loved it). He also writes incredible literary pieces that blend poetic and literary styles that will absolutely blow your mind.

Harrison has high hopes for his future. He hopes to get his teaching credential in English and teach for a while but admits that he only wishes to test the waters, unsure of whether or not he is going to make a lifetime commitment to it. He doesn’t want to do something unless he loves it, he explained. Should he choose to diverge from the path of a teacher, Harrison rattled off a few other options he thought he’d enjoy as well, such as: going to graduate school, getting a doctorate, traveling the world to learn about different religions, or opening a diner. Furthermore, when asked what he hopes for his personal life, he stated that the number one thing that he wants to be is a good father (insert awwing girls here), which for him also entails finding a woman to be his life partner, who would be kind, smart, caring, sincere, and a best friend who would be just as excited about life as he is.

So, ladies, if you’re open to a relationship with a sweet, intelligent, and hilarious man, keep an eye out for this one. The secret girl checklist indicates him as a strong candidate for a potential keeper. If not, keep an eye out for him anyway. He’s a great person to know on any level.

Bailey Satterfield is a 4th-year English major studying creative writing. She joined Her Campus to surround herself with people who care about Cal Poly and its people.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.