This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Midterms —  they’re almost as deadly as finals. And, just as we got into our groove, it’s that time of the quarter again. You know, the time when you’re stressed out and exhausted just thinking about “midterms” in week 4. But it’s not impossible! You can manage your time and stress if you plan it well. 

The weeks surrounding your midterms seem to fly by, and they’re filled with endless studying. But don’t lose hope, though, because you can ace your midterms and have time to relax. Here are a few tips to make it happen.

1. Plan out each day.

Each morning or night before, put together a list of things you need to get done. Split them up into smaller, more manageable tasks so they don’t seem so daunting. For example: read chapter six in Cultural Geography textbook, go over calc study guide, go to the gym for 45 minutes and do laundry.

Whatever you need to do will get done faster if you have it written down in front of you. Check off each thing as you go and feel proud of all the progress you’re making.

2. Take study breaks.

It doesn’t do you any good to study while tired and unfocused. Studying for hours can drain you. Instead, set a timer for an hour (or however long you think you can actually stay productive). Then study for that amount of time without distractions. Don’t text, don’t check Facebook or Instagram — really pay attention. Then, when the timer goes off, reward yourself with a break.  Do some stretches, watch last week’s episode of “How I Met Your Mother,” or catch up on your Twitter feed. Breaking your studying up helps refresh your focus.

3. Make time for exercise.

Exercise is one of my favorite study breaks. I like to do yoga. It helps de-stress and refocus your mind. Midterms will frazzle your brain, so it’s important to take a step back and breathe.

Exercise is also a good pick-me-up after you have been logging long hours in the library all day. Get those endorphins flowing so you can get back to studying.

4. Eat good meals.

Don’t forget to eat. I know this sounds pretty weird, but when you have a lot on your mind, food may fall to the wayside. Be sure to not skip meals and make sure you are eating healthy foods. Midterms week is not the time to be filling your body with greasy, unhealthy foods that can make you feel lethargic. Fuel your body so you can keep acing your tests.

5. Don’t procrastinate.

This may seem obvious. We all know procrastination is bad, but it’s easier said than done. But, especially now, you don’t want to star procrastinating. Time will get away from you.

If you have a short break between classes, get some homework done. Waiting for the bus? Crack open those books. Those extra minutes of studying mean you’ll finish sooner, and it’ll pay off.

Plan your time so you’re not cramming on the way to the test; you’ll just psych yourself out more. 

Midterms don’t have to be that bad. Just make a plan that works for you and stick to it! If you do, you’re sure to do great on your exams. Good luck, collegiettes!

I am a journalism major here at the amazing Cal Poly. My goal is to get paid to travel. The ultimate dream job would be to work for National Geographic or a magazine similar to that. I caught the travel bug when I went to China my sophomore year of high school. Since then I have been to Costa Rica, Spain and France. I hope to add to my list this summer and then maybe study abroad with Cal Poly. I love everything that has to do with the outdoors. I enjoy hiking, swimming, biking and yoga. I love writing and am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.