Wellness > Health

A Guide to Establishing a Consistent Fitness Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Whether you’re someone who is trying to carve time out of their hectic schedule to work out or someone who needs a motivational push to get off of their couch, I am here to help you out. After I made the decision to make working out a priority a few years ago, my life changed tremendously. After a few months in a routine, my mental health and other areas of my life improved a great. Here are my best tips to help you in establishing a consistent fitness routine.

Begin with writing

I know this might seem a little weird at first, but grab a piece of paper and something to write with. At the top, write out some of the workout goals you have. Is it to run 10 miles a week? Swim three times a week? Be specific. Once you have your workout plan down, make a calendar and write down when you can make time for it. I make my plan as colorful as possible and add motivational quotes all over the page! You can plan for the week or the month. Some of the best ideas on how to format your workout calendar can be found on Pinterest. Your plan is entirely up to you!

Hold yourself accountable

Now that you have your scheduling figured out and everything you need to be prepared, make sure you stay ON TOP of your workouts. If you are serious about making working out a priority, you aren’t going to be making excuses on why you are skipping them. Hold yourself accountable by crossing out the days in your calendar. Another idea, tell yourself if you get X amount of workouts done in a week, or hit that goal you’ve been working so hard for, you can reward yourself with something. It’s important to set incentives for your workouts.

Get some fitness-related apps 

This isn’t an essential step, but it has sure helped me in my workout endeavors. I use fitness-based apps to track my running. My favorite two are Strava and the Nike Run Club app. Their geolocation features allow you to track your workouts on a map-based layout, while allowing you to connect and find friends who also utilize these applications.

An important reminder is that working out can be whatever you make of it. As long as you are committed to something that promotes (the recommended) 30 minutes of physical activity per day, you should be congratulating yourself. My workouts have looked so different over the years. I found that going on long walks with friends and family was my main way of exercising during the quarantine. While starting a new fitness plan might seem intimidating to some, once you commit to it and notice the beneficial results on your mental health, you will not regret it.

Lauren is a third-year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo studying Journalism on the Public Relations track. At Cal Poly, Lauren is involved in Her Campus, the Public Relations Student Society of America, an employee of Shakesmart and also serves as the event coordinator for her sorority. In her free time, she loves spending time with her family and friends and running. She is passionate about writing and cannot wait to share some of her insight on Her Campus!