Getting Ready for St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I don’t know about you, but for me, St. Patrick’s day is one of the best holidays! Growing up with an Irish mom and an Italian dad, my mom would always make St. Patrick’s day super extra. She would cook Irish bread for dinner, have the “leprechaun” leave candy in my shoe by the front door and dye the milk green. I remember going to elementary school and setting leprechaun traps the day before and then coming back in the morning and seeing that the leprechaun had made a mess in the classroom. Now, as we are in college, here are a few ideas for what to wear, eat and decorate for St. Patrick’s day. 

Outfits: 

GREEN, GREEN, GREEN-  today should be the day you bring out that green shirt you have had in your closet all year and have not found a purpose to wear it yet. You don’t want to get pinched!

Eat: 

You can add green food dye to any of your favorite already established recipes. However, if you are in search of a new recipe to try, here are a few ideas including green Rice Krispy treats, green fudge and green velvet cupcakes. It’s more than just Irish beer! 

Decorations: 

Incorporate anything green (duh) into your dorm room. Target normally has some festive decor towards the front of the store. You can look for four-leaf clovers, green gingham prints or little leprechauns. This will help pull together your look for St. Patty’s day!  You can even trick your roommates by leaving candies and/or glitter around the dorm, or putting festive stickers on your window. 

Happy St. Pattys!

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.