The Faux Pas Meghan Markle Made with Her Baby Announcement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

If there’s anything that gets people excited, it’s a royal wedding. With one of those already under our belts for the year, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry gave us the next best thing— a royal baby announcement.

It seems the royal family made one big mistake in releasing their pregnancy announcement on Oct. 15 that has a lot of people angry.

Oct. 15 marks the end of Baby Loss Awareness Week, beginning this year on the 9th, and signifies Pregnancy Loss and Infant Remembrance Day. Coined back in 1988 by President Raegan, this day is one to remember the loss of babies and infants. Our society moves so quickly that it often allows little time for self-care, let alone grief. Oct. 15 is one day for families to come together and remember what they’ve lost as well as ask for the support they need.

Unfortunately, to release a baby announcement on such a day seemed insensitive and ignorant to many. Many questioned if it would have been too much to release their announcement a day later in consideration of Pregnancy Loss and Infant Remembrance Day. As a day observed in the UK, the US, Norway, Kenya, Italy, and Canada, this was not a day recognized in a single country, but one recognized across the globe.

Though it was a celebratory announcement for the couple, it also triggered grief and sadness for people that have experienced these losses. For every loss of a baby, there is usually a pregnancy announcement involved beforehand. Disappointment at their insensitive timing can be tracked through Twitter with tweets like this one from lifestyle blogger and YouTuber xAmeliax here.

“I don’t know why but the royal baby news made me feel a bit sad today. Maybe a reminder of how un-fairytale-like my life has been? Huge hugs to anyone out there struggling to conceive or those who have suffered a baby loss. I can imagine this news would be very triggering,” YouTuber xAmeliax wrote. 

Sarah Speller, a 33-year-old Australian mom, also expressed her concern in a tweet.

@KensingtonRoyal little insensitive to announce a royal pregnancy on the last day of baby loss awareness week. October 15th is a very special day for parents to angels. Couldn’t it wait for a day or 2?” Speller wrote. 

While the announcement itself would have ultimately been saddening for those who have experienced the loss of an infant or truly any child, it would have been in better taste to release such news on any other day. If anyone should have known about the politics of this day of remembrance, it should have been the royal family. 

One can only hope that with the baby due in the Spring of next year, no more faux pas will come out of what will be, in good faith, a healthy pregnancy for the couple.

Cal Poly SLO Senior, author of Live, Laugh, Love Like a Teenager, and blogger at KWilliamsbooks, Karina is one of countless women with a voice to be heard and a dream to be chased. Perhaps a little bit of both at the same time; follow her on the journey and you can find out.