Fall To Winter: How to Prepare Your Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
Fall–the sweet smell of pumpkin, the sound of crunching leaves and the most perfect combination of warm and cool with a little added breeze. Fall is one of my favorite seasons, especially in San Luis Obispo, because the leaves of all the trees slowly change colors and the sky is a sweet combination of purple, red, yellow and orange. At this time in the year, I usually bust out a few cute scarves, maybe a beanie, cute ripped jeans and a shirt of choice. These items of clothing are certainly fall worthy.

Then one day, the weather changes and it’s December. The leaves fall and the beautiful skies are more cloudy and dark. And it’s freezing cold. SLO in the winter can be brutal, with strong winds and a cold spell that can literally freeze your butt off. Now I’m wearing sweats, one to two sweaters and Ugg boots. What a wardrobe change, right?

Here’s my two-step simple guide on how to keep wearing your cute fall clothes while staying toasty in the winter.

1. Invest in a few staple items that can be used in both seasons.

When transitioning from season to season, it’s always good to have a few items that you can wear in both weather conditions. This way, you’ll have a favorite article of clothing that you can still wear when it’s cold, even if you bought it for the warm/comfortable weather in the fall. One of these items is a flannel. Invest in a flannel that isn’t super thick, but will still keep you warm. In the fall, wear it with a cute tank top and maybe shorts or jeans. If it gets too warm to wear throughout the day, tie it around your waist for a cute look. For the winter season, flannels are great. If it’s not super thick, you can fit it under a sweater for a cute layered look.

Another item is a pair of combat boots. Combat boots go very well with skinny jeans or shorts. So it doesn’t matter if it’s cold or warm outside, you can still rock those Doc Martens. Combat boots can also resist rain, which is perfect for either fall or winter. Black boots are very versatile. They will match with whatever you’re wearing. Combat boots generally have decent traction, so no matter the weather, these boots will trudge through almost anything.

Scarves are simply a girl’s must-have. An awesome pattern scarf can go a long way. To be able to use one scarf for both seasons, go for one that is jacket or blanket material. This type of material is a medium between silk and wool. It’s the perfect scarf to keep your neck and chest warm during the changing seasons. If the back of your neck gets too hot during the fall, just tie up your hair in a playful ponytail or messy bun so you’ll stay cool. Then you’ll still be able to show off your scarf!

A good pair of jeans will do wonders in both the fall and winter. Invest in a set of jeans that aren’t too tight so that you can roll them up in the fall for a cute capri look. You’ll still be warm, but not too warm. Then, in the winter, just fold the rolls back down to keep your calves and shins protected. 
2. Learn to layer up.

This is a critical step in changing your outfits from fall to winter. As described before, winters in SLO can be brutally cold and windy and if you aren’t properly dressed, you’ll feel like you’re wearing nothing at all. For your staple jeans, buy a pair that can fit thermals underneath. Thermals are what very thick flannels are made of. They are worn under jeans or shirts and automatically shield your body from the cold and wind going right through your clothes.

Don’t have skinny jeans that fit thermals under them? There’s an easy and quick solution to that! Invest in some leg warmers that are about the length of your boots. You’ll look stylish and keep warm too. Layering up isn’t all about sticking an extra sweater or flannel underneath another jacket. It can be as simple as wearing a tank top under a flowing shirt so the thinness of the shirt won’t stop you from showing it off during the fall months.

Follow these tips to keep your closet useful in these changing seasons, and happy layering, collegiette!
Cathie Deane is third year History major seeking internships at museums, slowly wanting to work her way up the big leagues in Washington D.C. in the Smithsonian museums. She is an active member of Kappa Alpha Theta,  as well as various clubs such as Chinese Student Association, Korean American Student Association, and Pilipino Cultural Exchange.She loves eating pizza, going on Pinterest, listening to music on Spotify, working out and being outdoors, spending time with Christ, and hanging out with friends!Follow her on Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter: @cathiecdeane
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8