The Effects of Stress on Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As the new quarter begins, the calming effects of spring break begin to fade and suddenly you realize just how much you really needed that rest.  Whether you’re an English major with countless essays due, an engineer with lab reports and final projects or a business major with 4 exams crammed into a few days, the physical signs of stress affect us all during college.

The physical signs of stress include aches and pains in various places, inability to sleep, nervous body movements and bad habits to name a few. Although it may seem like a week or two of relaxing vacation may be all you need to cleanse your mind and body of the stresses life brings, it is important that you recognize the effects stress can have and how to prevent them in the first place. If you experience any of the symptoms covered in this article, analyze the source(s) of stress in your life and act on them immediately!

Stress is everywhere. Stress is prevalent in academics, relationships, friendships, work life and many other places. Stress can physically manifest in many ways including aches and pains in your body. These aches and pains most commonly show in the back, neck, head and various muscles. Life is a little tougher than usual and maybe you have a little less time to yourself. All of the sudden, you notice a sharp pain in your shoulder blade, a tight muscle in your lower back or a constant need to crack your neck.  Muscle pain and spasms can be incredibly painful and long lasting. Its important to figure out the source and stop them in their tracks.

Another physical sign of stress is stomach problems. If your responsibilities are piling on a little higher than usual, stomach pain and discomfort may be the result. You might suddenly find yourself running to the bathroom too often or maybe not at all. Maybe you feel nauseous or can’t seem to force yourself to eat much more than a few bites of food. Stress can have this seriously negative effect on your eating habits and if you find this to be the case, you’ll also find yourself dealing with lower levels of nutrients, essential vitamins and minerals and constant fatigue.

On top of all of that, stress most often of all affects one’s ability to sleep. A good night’s sleep is SO important for not only managing stress, but for maintaining a healthy lifestyle in general. If you find insomnia to be a problem, this can result in accelerated exhaustion, cravings of high sugar foods, grinding of the teeth and racing thoughts leading to high levels of anxiety. If you think insomnia or any of these physical issues are affecting you, talk to your health care provider and nip it in the bud! Figure out the healthiest way to stay your happiest, healthiest self in high stress situations. For preventative measures check out the recent Her Campus article, Relieving Stress In The Great Outdoors!

As a Cal Poly mechanical engineering student from the LA suburbs of Pasadena, California, I like to think of myself as a bit of a nerd, a total foodie, and an occasional fashionista....at least I follow lots of fashionistas on Instagram. Does that count? When I'm not living in the library I love soaking up the sun along with all the beauty and activities the central coast has to offer including hiking, kayaking, and, of course, enjoying the endless variety of local food options.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8