Dom “The Bomb” Porcincula

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Dom is the big man on campus. He has a smile and a greeting for nearly every person he passes in the hallways. Dom manages to balance engineering classes, dozens of hobbies and spontaneous taiko lessons all while maintaining an unwavering positive attitude. I was lucky enough catch up with Dom over a cup of coffee one cloudy morning.

First off, how are you today? I’m feeling slightly corporeal. This weather makes me feel like a withering flower, exposed to the fall and winter winds.

You’re an extensive traveler, what places have you traveled to? I’ve been to France, Spain and Portugal. Also Trinidad. Also Mexico. Also Canada. Apparently, people from California think that’s exotic. Me and Canada, we’re like homedogs who moved away in middle school but we still catch up from time to time, ya dig?

What was the coolest place that you’ve visited recently? I feel like I went somewhere really magical but I don’t remember…  I’m pretty sure there were trees.

Recall your strangest or funniest moment at Cal Poly – Are you ready for this? It all happened about two years ago, winter quarter. Walking through the Construction Innovations Centers on the way to Statics; you know the narrow hallways? As I was walking through the hallway, I felt a tug on the button on my jacket. As I looked down, I saw a string leading to the backpack of a young man fervently… uh… engaged in a game of tonsil hockey. Seeing that pulling my jacket string interrupted their kissing, they gave me a strange look. I scrambled to unhook my backpack and ran to class. Note: To the two players of tonsil hockey, I do apologize for interrupting your game.

What are you involved with on campus? – Pilipino Cultural Exchange, Engineering World Health, Global Food Tasters, and I dabbled in Cal Poly Ballroom Dance. I was also a WOW leader my sophomore year.

Which fictional character would you like as a buddy? – So the real question is which Avatar or Legend of Korra character would I like to be friends with? Hmm, probably not Korra, she’d get mad at me all the time and kick my ass. And not Lin Beifong, cuz she would just kick my ass regardless. I think I’d be friends with Iroh. I respect with him and his personality a lot. He’s cheerful and happy, even when he faces difficulties like being betrayed by his own people. He understands his own weaknesses because he understands himself. He seems really fun and philosophical. Someone I could drink tea and play Pai Sho with.

Do you have any secret talents? – I can bend all four elements. Hashtag Avatar status.

Do you have a life philosophy?  –One of my philosophies is: Don’t stress. I try to choose my emotions. If your emotions are a product of you and you have control of your life, by association, you can control your emotions. I choose not to be stressed or unhappy; I choose to be happy and energetic. I realize that I am lucky enough to have good mental health. It is a privileged philosophy.

What is your biggest pet peeve? – When people mispronounce words like “expresso” and “chipolte”. It’s like listening to a thousand nails on a chalkboard while Justin Bieber plays in the background.

What advice would you give to a freshman? – Try all the new things you want to try while you’re in college. Don’t make the excuse that you’re too busy, that’s bullsh*t. Well, in a lot of cases. And remember to call your parents and tip your waitresses. 

Sam Snow

Cal Poly

Sam Snow is a biomedical engineering 4th-year who enjoys movies, music, dancing, and making people laugh. She's passionate health, especially mental health, and her friends and family. 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu