Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Diva Dos and Don’ts: A Review of the Diva Brand Menstrual Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I have always used tampons since I first got my period, so trying a menstrual cup seemed like an adventure. Going into this experiment I already knew of the many benefits of using menstrual cups: they’re reusable, I spend less money on tampons every month, they can be left in for longer. So, there are a lot of reasons to try one.

The Diva Cup was interesting to put in the first time because you have to stick it straight in with your hand. Most women are used to tampon applicators, so it was a little odd, but ultimately fine. Once in, it mainly feels like a tampon (i.e. nothing). However, the instructions do warn that the user shouldn’t sleep in it the first couple of days because they might not be adjusted to the feeling of it, but I did not have that problem. I could only feel it when I was thinking about it, which was probably more of a placebo than anything else.

Then I went about my day and the cup seemed to work fine. I did have a brief moment of panicked confusion when I went to the bathroom but did not have to change my tampon and I wondered if I had to remind myself I was fine. The package and instructions for the Diva Cup say that it can stay in for twelve hours. Though I rationally know that number is the maximum amount of time, I definitely pushed my limit on how close I could get to twelve hours without changing. I made it about eight hours before I started leaking, which was a little disappointing, but still way better than using tampons. So for women out there who have a heavier flow, it’s good to change the cup more regularly than the box might advertise.

My first day of using the cup I did not have any leaking (at least not until the very end when it overflowed). However, the second day there was some slight leakages in the cup. I attribute this to me probably not putting it in correctly or at the right angle. Anyone using a menstrual cup for the first time should definitely wear panty liners for your first couple of days in case it goes in incorrectly, or is left in too long. The cup did not leak again after the second day, so it is pretty reliable, as long as it is not being used by a newby like me.

My last major interaction with the Diva Cup came with changing it. The cup comes with instructions on how to properly wash it, and it needs to be properly washed. Unwashed cups can be dangerous, so this step is the most important. I would wash and reinsert it once when I showered, but other times of the day posed a problem. I discovered that the easiest way to go about the washing process is to have two cups, which I did not. The cup needs to be washed with soap and warm water for 3-4 minutes, which can be difficult when you only have one. I struggled with needing to wash mine, while trying to avoid leaking into my underwear during that three minute period. It would have been way easier with two cups so that I could switch between the two of them. This problem can also be solved with panty liners, but in the long run buying two menstrual cups would be more efficient.

It was an easy to use product that definitely helped with comfort during my period. It was nice being able to sleep and not wake up in a puddle of blood, like I do when I wear pads. Using a Diva Cup cut my cost of feminine products down to zero, which was also a nice way of avoiding the luxury tax, which is a whole other issue. It was comfortable and easy to you and overall a good product that I would recommend.

I am a fourth year English major at Cal Poly. I love petting all the dogs I walk by and asking people weird questions (ex. What is your favorite form of potato?). In my writing, and in my life, I like to explore sex and sexuality thereby creating a sex positive environment. A huge portion of feminism leans upon our cultural views towards sex and sexuality and I would like to make it more inclusive. I also love playing the ukulele, eating ice cream and dying my hair fun colors.