samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Discovering Balance In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As the 2015-2016 school year comes to an end, reflections about this past year flood into our thoughts of the promising year ahead. Whether you’re going into your next year of college or going into your first year of college, as you think about the memories and mistakes you’ve made this year you’re probably wondering what you can do to improve this upcoming school year. A lot of these improvements that come to mind might encompass some aspect of finding balance. Between rigorous classes, midterm seasons that seem eternal, having a social life, and working or dedicating yourself to sports, college can sometimes feel like tight-rope walking with two cups of boiling hot coffee in hand. However, it can also feel like you’re a professional tight rope walker, who is holding two cups of liquid courage, taking every step with confidence. You’ll have days where it feels like the first and you’ll days where it feels like the latter, but regardless finding balance is essential during these pivotal years. It is not simply entrenching yourself in academics that will build character. It is not solely partying until daylight that will lead to enrichment. It is a combination of experiences, a compilation of chapters, a range of reasons for all nighters, an ironically imperfect harmony. What better way to consider how we can find balance than hear what a few students who have already been around the block have to say. Enjoy the following advice from Cal Poly Seniors- and to all the seniors out there, congratulations!

The questions asked:

1. If you had one piece of advice for incoming or current students what would it be?

2. How did you manage finding balance in college?

The answers posed:

Davis Neary

Dairy Science with Agricultural Communications Minor

1. Don’t be afraid of failure. I failed a class in college spring quarter Sophomore year and was on academic probation the start of my fall quarter of junior and felt like I would never bounce back from it. But through amazing on campus resources, I was off academic probation the following quarter and I got my GPA back to 3.0 by the end of my junior year and I ended up graduating cal poly a quarter early and completing a minor my junior year. You can do anything as long as you don’t let failure scare you.

2. I found balance through having extra curricular activities. These helped with keeping my stress low because I had great friends and activities to do to keep my sanity in check. Also weekly visits to the local animal shelter and other day trips helped get my mind cleared and give me a change of pace.

Jared Spadaro

Computer Engineering

1. If I had to pick one piece of advice it would be to take time to plan ahead, especially when it comes to class schedules and finding a place to live. With everything going on in college, combined with the fact that you’re still adjusting to living on your own, it’s easy to get lost in each day and not take time to look ahead and lay down a solid plan for next quarter, next year, etc.

2. Finding balance in college can be tough, but basically you have to make sacrifices. You can choose to dedicate all your time to school, and you will most likely succeed academically if you do that, but you will also be robbed of fun times / memories that you could have made instead of studying. You can have the time of your life, but if you never study, then you will fail out of school. So, it becomes a matter of picking and choosing when you’re not gonna study for those few hours, but go to the beach instead. Or deciding to skip that party because you have a test the next day. That’s why I decided to do 5 years, because it allowed me to achieve a balance of school, work, exercise, fun, and family time. It was very worth it to me.

Amanda Trecartin

Biochemistry

1. My one piece of advice would be to look at the big picture and not get bogged down by the little things, such as grades or friends.

2. I find balance in college by giving myself a break every now and then by buying frozen yogurt or taking a weekend trip away, and then coming back to my studies refreshed and motivated.

Megan Marshall

Environmental Management and Protection

1. Grades don’t determine your intelligence! A failed test(or even a failed class) may seem like a HUGE deal, but don’t let it define you. Learn from your testing mistakes and move on. You were accepted into an accredited university and have learned A LOT, you are incredibly intelligent!

2. I find balance but prioritizing and making lists. After the important (school assignments and shifts at work) events are on the list with enough time to do them, I fill the rest of my time with exercise and social events. You are able to get your work done and still enjoy college.

Destiny Poms

Agriculture Business

1. My advice would be: don’t wear yourself out; enjoy this experience, get enough sleep and don’t stress over getting perfect grades in every class. When you’re not studying make sure you enjoy the time you have here because it goes by in a flash!

2. For finding balance: don’t overwork yourself, if you have a job while going to school, make sure to keep your hours somewhat low so you have time to study and also have fun. Be sure to also eat healthy and get a little bit of exercise everyday, it’s a good way to keep your stress level low!

Rachel Raynor

City and Regional Planning

1. One piece of advice would be to realize that you will not be able to do it all in college – have an extensive social life, get straight As, sleep 8 hours a night, be apart of all the clubs/organizations you want – I know that sounds grim and/or discouraging, but actually I’ve learned that it is very freeing. It’s liberating knowing you can’t do everything and accepting that what you can is just as satisfying.

2. I found balance and stability through friends, and by actually choosing to be busier. I found that I then was more efficient with my time with having little of it. Working a job throughout college also encouraged a hard working ethic.

Alfredo Sanchez

Electrical Engineering

1. Explore and discover the facilities and areas which for academics and athletics. There are multiple areas for studying aside from the library. Rooms such as the Multicultural Engineering Program (MEP), in front of the Rec Center, offer free tutoring in several engineering fields as well as professional development such as mock interviews. Intimidated by big bulky muscle heads at the gym but still want to get a workout in? Try the rock and boulder wall right next to the rec center or join an intramural team for your favorite sport. Many freshmen are unaware of the several options they can take to help them further their health and academics but are too shy to try anything out of the mainstream.

2. Finding a balance with school and social life varies significantly for most people and also changes with each year. My method of balancing a schedule revolved around the idea of knocking out two birds with one stone. I live off-campus, so busing to school takes me forty minutes which makes multiple trips to campus a real turn off. To save as much time as I can I always pack a lunch or two to expect a long day at school if my work load requires it. Then after class I am still able to go rock climbing, a favorite sport of mine, and finish up on some homework and reading.

Isabel Hughes

Cal Poly '19

.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.