Style

Day in the Life of a Small Business Owner: Fashion Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

On January 1st of 2021, I wanted to ring in the New Year with a bang. So I decided to follow my dream and launch my own brand. And let me tell you, this was the best decision I’ve ever made. One month in, and I feel like I have developed a pretty good routine for myself. Let me bring you along through a day in my life as a small business owner.

Wake Up

First step’s first. MATCHA. A few months ago, I took a break from drinking coffee because although it did the job of waking me up, it made me feel really jittery. So I switched to iced matcha lattes and I never want to go back. Here is how I make mine: 

1. Mix 1 tablespoon of organic matcha powder with about two tablespoons of water 

2. Whip up some almond milk cold foam and pour it over top

3. Drink your little heart out. Trust me you’re going to obsess over this

Write It Out

I then do my daily devotional, write out my affirmations, and fill out my planner. Doing this whilst drinking my matcha latte is my favorite thing to wake up to every morning. It also helps keep me on a routine which helps me feel organized and have a positive mindset for the day. 

Tech Time

After journaling, I check my brand’s Instagram and interact with my followers as much as I can. I also try to post at least once a day to engage my audience and show the world what I’ve been up to! After some social media time, I head to my laptop to check any orders that were purchased from my website during the night. I print out shipping labels for each order and package them up to send them off in the mail. I especially love this part of my day because I feel so much support whenever I see a notification from someone out in the world buying from my little brand. It makes me so happy to know that there are people out there cheering me on while supporting my dream. 

Let’s Get Down to Business

Now comes grind time. I spend most of my day in my little workshop space in my apartment. This is where the magic happens. I usually give priority to my custom orders so I can get those pieces shipped out as soon as possible. Although I am a one man show, I work really hard to fulfill any custom orders I have because, personally, I am so impatient and hate waiting for my things to come in the mail. So I can only imagine how eager my customers are who are wanting a specific unique piece made just for them.

Let the Creative Juices Flow

After making my customs, I brainstorm ideas and play around on Procreate, an exclusive iPad app for digital illustrators. When I studied abroad in Italy, I took a Fashion and Design Illustration course where I learned how to draw out my sketches on paper. After I returned from Italy, I wanted to continue to sketch out my ideas but found that Procreate has allowed me to make my ideas come to life at a much faster pace. From there, I use those sketches as inspiration for my designs and I get to creating. I love designing very unique pieces. Either you’ll hate it or you’ll love it and that’s what makes it so addicting to me. One of my favorite pieces to make is a sneaker corset because I love to watch firsthand how I can make shoes evolve into a wearable corset. Although these are probably the hardest pieces to make (and many broken needles later), the end result is so worth it to me. 

By this time, the sun has begun to set and I especially love setting this time aside to take in what I had done during the day and just rest. Seeing the deep pinks and oranges in the sky make me so happy and help me reflect on everything I’m grateful for in life. I am always saying how grateful I am for the constant support of starting my own small business. It was a big decision to make, but I decided to follow my dream and run with it. And I’m so glad I did, because I never want to look back. I can’t wait to see where Her Fruit is by this time next year. Brb, I’m manifesting.

Malia Sine is currently studying at California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo with a major in Communication Studies. Malia studied abroad in Florence, Italy where she attended Milan Fashion Week and gained valuable skills from her fashion marketing and accessory design classes. Her passion for writing about innovative artistic expression stems from her love of aesthetic composition and innate ability to join separate components together into a beautiful whole. As a creative, Malia enjoys designing handbags, upcycling clothes, and creating mood boards for inspiration. She aspires to become a leader at the forefront of the fashion and beauty industry.