CP Dorm Essentials: What to pack for fall 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Congratulations! You’ve committed to Cal Poly SLO for fall 2013 and now couldn’t be any more anxious to move out of your parents’ house. I don’t blame you. Dorm life is a great experience, but it’s something you will have to prepare for in advance.

Now that I’m getting ready to move out of my dorm, I thought I would provide some helpful suggestions on packing essentials and not-so-essentials, along with decor and housing tips.

The Essentials

Fan: Having a small desktop fan or room fan will SAVE you, especially during the fall and summer weather where it averages 80 degrees or higher every day. Also, sharing a room can get stuffy sometimes so it’s nice to have air circulation.

Lint-roller: You’re able to check out vacuums in the dorms, but having something small and portable to pick up crumbs or dust is very helpful when you don’t have a lot of time to do hard core cleaning.

Desktop lamp: This will come in handy when your roommate has to turn off the room lights to sleep when you still have a lot of work to do that requires light.

Batteries/Power strip: Remember: your gadgets, night lights and chargers will not work unless there’s nothing to power it!

Bathrobe/Towel-wrap: Keep in mind that you will be sharing showers with other girls in your dorm so having a towel-wrap with Velcro or even a bathrobe will make it a LOT easier to move from your room to the shower comfortably.

Shower Shoes and Caddy: Wearing sandals in the shower is necessary since you will be using a communal shower. Having a caddy with all your toiletries as well is very convenient to have.

Cleaning spray and paper towels: These are essential for move-in day but also come in handy for cleaning your desk space every once in awhile. It’s easy to get sick when you live with a lot of people, so cleaning is a must!

Water filter: You’ll have to pack your own water filter (like a Brita) if you don’t want to drink water from the tap. The smallest sized Britas will fit perfectly in the mini-fridges that come with your room! Make sure to have some replacement filters handy.

Medicine: Aside from your personal medication, it would be a smart idea to pack some Emergen-C (great for getting over colds and hangovers) or some other basic cold medication because living with new people exposes you to getting sick during the first few weeks.

Printer: Even though you can get by without a printer, (by using on-campus printing that costs money with your Polycard) having a printer in your dorm room is super convenient for printing notes and papers. Talk to your roommate to figure out who will bring it!

Ear plugs: There will be nights where your floor-mates will be unnecessarily loud through the paper-thin walls. You won’t regret bringing them!

Laundry supplies: This includes detergent, dryer sheets, and a hamper! Also, laundry cards are provided so don’t stock up on quarters.

Storage Bins and Hangers: Make the most of your small closet and large wardrobe by utilizing a lot of hangers and storage bins!

Lap Desk: Want to watch Netflix/Skype/do homework from your bed? Having a lap desk keeps your computer from overheating and allows you to be productive when you’re feeling cozy in bed. Some even come with book lights which is extremely convenient.

The Fun Stuff

Stamps: If you and your BFFs are planning on writing letters or sending packages to each other or if you plan on writing to your parents remember to pack stamps so you can mail your letters quickly!

Photos, push-pins, posters, and putty: spice up your room with pictures of friends from home! Most rooms come with cork boards so bring tacks and push-pins, but there’s also wall space for posters that should only be hung using removable mounting putty.

Pillows, duvets, and sheets: You can find some great deals on unique bedding sets at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and sites like Dormify and Urban Outfitters. Make your room as unique as you are!

Next >> What NOT to Pack

[pagebreak]

What NOT to Pack

Excess Clothes: Ladies, I know you have a lot of clothes and are super excited to show them off, but remember that there is limited closet space for you and your roommate. Plan what clothes you pack according to the weather and when you’ll be going home to visit. For example, don’t bring your Uggs or winter coats until you come home for Thanksgiving or Winter Break.

Excess food: If you live in a dorm, you will have a meal plan that you shouldn’t waste by purchasing and/or stocking up food. Not only does it take up space, but food can expire quickly. It’s also easy to forget about your food when on-campus food is available everywhere.

Check your portal: Check the “housing” tab for specific items that you’re not allowed to bring. Some of these include: hot plates, bed risers, candles, hanging-lights, and microwaves (you will have microwaves in the dorm common-rooms).

Housing Slang

“Red-bricks”: You’ll hear this term a lot in reference to the dorms that are made of, you guessed it, red bricks. These dorms include Tenaya, Trinity, Santa Lucia, Fremont, Muir, and Sequoia

“VG’s”: This is the acronym for Vista Grande, the food court located near the Sierra Madre dorms. You’ll become very familiar with it.

“Main Lounge”: Each dorm has this ‘central hub’ where the front desk, mailboxes, study rooms, and chill space are located.

“Rounds”: This refers to when the R.As (Resident Advisors) walk through each tower at certain times during the night to check on students.

“Quiet Hours”: The time during the night where residents are supposed to be quiet to allow other residents to sleep or study.

“Common Room”: Refers to the social space in between the two sides of the floor where people chill.

Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything on this list. You’ll learn what works best for you once you get the hang of on-campus living. If you happen to forget anything, The University Bookstore and Campus Market have almost everything you’ll need. Happy shopping and get stoked to move in this fall!

I'm Alyssa: Inspiration addict, sass queen, and struggling human just trying to make the world better through social justice rants and personal projects. You can usually find me hula hooping, drawing, or eating gluten-free pizza.