A Collegiette’s Guide to Staying in the Loop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

My dearest collegiettes, I have a confession to make: I’m absolutely terrible at keeping up with current events.

There. I said it. I’m your typical, uninformed teenager, completely oblivious to the world around me. Is it my fault that I’m so uninformed? Yeah, I guess it is. Is there anything I can do to change my ways? Yes! Luckily for me (and you), there are plenty of steps a modern collegiette can take toward becoming more educated on national and worldwide happenings.

If you’re the kind of girl that likes to find a quiet place and drink her tea in silence every frosty Sunday morning, try adding a newspaper to your routine. Major publications like the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times offer discounted, student subscription rates throughout the year.

Last quarter, I paid $15 to get 15 weeks’ worth of Wall Street Journal papers delivered right to my doorstep. After just a few days, I could tell that it was one of the best investments I’ve ever made. I finally started to recognize the events I saw on the news and to contribute to class discussions on current events. While it was difficult to peruse the entire newspaper, just looking at headlines and reading the articles that interested me proved to be a pretty effective way to synthesize the information.

If you’re not ready to commit to having newspapers delivered to your door, the same publications typically have smart phone apps or websites where you can read some (or all) of its content for free. With a tablet, computer, or smart phone, you can access the news articles anytime, anywhere. From the comfort of your own bed to the discomfort of those long UU Starbucks lines, you’ll be able to read articles from a variety of publications. (Bonus points if you can find multiple articles on the same event and identify any discrepancies between the articles!)

To be fair, there are quite a few great apps that are not based on print publications. Try downloading iCitizen to stay updated on specific topics that interest you, like feminism or corporate salaries. The clean, polished layout of the app is easy on the eyes, and patriotic. Select which topics you want to see stories on, and even follow related legislation that’s currently going through the House Of Representatives or the Senate. It’s free, simple and totally effective.

For a little more sass and a lot less reading, sign up for theSkimm, a free, daily email that summarizes major current events in a few short sentences. With their “We write. You Skimm” slogan, it’s hard to say no. TheSkimm writers essentially do all the hard work for us: they collect, read, and analyze articles, then summarize them with witty one-liners and small paragraphs. Reading the newsletters feels just like talking to a friend, and will become part of your daily routine before you know it.

Don’t want to try something completely new? Try using the tools you already have. The next time you log onto the Internet, play with your browser settings to change your homepage from Google or Facebook to a site like CNN or New York Times. Even just a quick glance at the headlines before you log onto Pinterest will make you more aware of the world around you.

If you’re not convinced of how easy staying in the loop can be, try using Twitter to your advantage. You’re already following Ellen DeGeneres (and if you’re not, stop reading RIGHT NOW and go follow that hilarious woman), but try following organizations like AP (@AP) or people like the president (@BarackObama). Doing this will fill your Twitter feed with links to articles and instant updates on current events, all in 140 characters or less.

With all these tools literally at your fingertips, it won’t be hard at all for you to jump into the world of current events. You’ll be amazed at how much you can learn in just a few short minutes!

Nikki is a senior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where her parents think she's on track to graduate early with degrees in both Finance and French. She is -- kind of -- but she currently functions under the delusion that graduation, much like the limit, does not actually exist. In wake of this recent quarter-life crisis, Nikki plans to live out her final days as an undergrad nursing her giant ego, making Mean Girls references, and advocating for the continued use of the Oxford comma. She prefers her dog and s'mores Poptarts over most things, and survives on a delicate combination of iced coffee and cookie dough. In her free time, Nikki enjoys binge watching Modern Family, embarrassing herself in front of cute boys, and making empty promises to go to the gym. Hate mail and Mindy Kaling gifs can be tweeted to her anytime at @nikkikontiki.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu