Clubs of Cal Poly: Drop Dead Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
Want to switch up your Saturday night routine? Look no further than on Cal Poly campus, where Drop Dead Blues hosts its weekly venue!

These are the officers of Drop Dead Blues, the campus and community blues dancing venue. Blues dancing, they explain, is a social, partnered dance with an emphasis on groundedness. Drop Dead Blues offers an all-levels drop in lesson every Saturday night with the very low cost of no money at all! Not only that, but they host free social dancing from 9:30pm-1am, with awesome blues (and sometimes not blues) music!

But they don’t just do weekly events. Every year, Drop Dead Blues hosts a weekend-long workshop during winter quarter where they bring in professional teachers to amp up the scene’s dancing. In addition to two days of lessons from professionals, the workshop also includes two nights of social dancing, competitions and the opportunity to make friends with many out-of-town dancers who come to SLO for the workshop!

Drop Dead Blues meets in Building 5, Room 225 every Saturday night. They are always welcoming new people on the social dancing floor, so come on in and learn how to groove to some Down Home Blues.

All photos taken by Leia Chang

Valentina Sainato is a 5th year English major and Ethnic Studies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She loves to read, always having a book in hand. She's also a devoted dancer who knows 12 different styles, and runs the SLO swing dancing scene. When she isn't working as a writing tutor, you can find her at any coffee shop in town (probably reading) or trying her best at the gym. Valentina is thrilled to be a writer and the senior editor for Her Campus Cal Poly!
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.