Climb Out of Your Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

From hiking trails to secret bike paths, there are plenty of adventurous things to do here in San Luis Obispo. But there’s another type of activity that many people haven’t tried yet — climbing. Whether it’s indoor or outdoor, I’m talking about the daring, no-harness type of climbing. This sport helps improve balance, strengthen back and shoulder muscles and is great for better flexibility.

At Cal Poly, the Poly Escapes outdoor climbing park at the Recreation Center allows students to access these routes on a free climbing boulder or a classic rock wall. Climbers are allowed to use these walls during school hours throughout the week and can rent climbing shoes and chalk to make their experience better.

SLO-OP, a local non-profit social club, is a climbing gym run by two executive directors who built the entire place with their own hands. They strive to organize a climbing community in San Luis Obispo that will promote and support the sport effectively. Anyone can become a member at SLO-OP, and though there is a small monthly fee of $45, the benefits are endless. Not only do they have multiple bouldering walls, SLO-OP also has a yoga room and weight room for everyday use. Climbing here is a great way to meet people in San Luis Obispo. Climbers are extremely helpful when it comes to motivation and route movements, and often set up groups for outdoor bouldering trips on the weekends.

Outdoor bouldering is a little different in comparison to indoor climbing, but the exhilaration of the sport is something to love. Psychology junior Michelle Van Riper indulges in both climbing techniques daily and can’t seem to get enough.

“It’s addicting,” she said. “It’s like a self-competition; it’s rewarding to see yourself accomplish different climbs. Bouldering is great because you’re in the middle of nature and it feels like you’re a part of something really beautiful.”

Many websites and books discuss the benefits of bouldering and offer instruction on completing different routes depending on your skill level. There are many places in San Luis Obispo that are perfect for outdoor bouldering, such as Bishop’s Peak and Madonna Mountain. For safety purposes, it is encouraged that climbers own a “crash pad,” which lies below you at all times in case you fall. Poly Escapes offers rental crash pads for students that can be used on and off campus.

From Feb. 28 to March 2, Poly Escapes is hosting an Ice Climb for students seeking an off-campus climbing excursion in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Climbers will be scaling frozen waterfalls and putting their skills to the test during the day, and can enjoy relaxing in the hot springs at night. The price of $150 includes transportation, a hotel room, snowshoes, trekking poles, ice climbing gear, camping gear, two breakfasts and a dinner. It’s a perfect weekend getaway!

Climbing is a great way to de-stress and stay in shape. It is an awesome hobby that challenges you and pushes you outside of your comfort zone; I encourage you to try it!

Third year Broadcast Journalism major, future sports reporter. Lover of all things chocolate, outdoorsy, and sports related. If you can't find me, I'm most likely watching Netflix.
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.