Campus Cutie and Dancer: Cathy Liu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
Korean-Drama Lover and Dance Enthusiast, Cathy!

Where are you from?

San Ramon, California

Where were you born?

Chigasaki, Japan. I lived there for 5 years.

Major/concentration?

Business major, concentration undeclared

What are your plans after college?

I want to start a skin care line because I’ve had crappy skin all my life. Acne is the death of me, when the scars go away I get more acne, it’s a cycle. I’ve had eczema on my arms. I’ve met people who suffer a lot from skin breakouts and it is the most annoying part, so I want to help people who have that problem.

How many languages do you speak?

2.5. I don’t speak much Japanese, but I can speak Chinese (Mandarin) and English.

What is an idiosyncrasy about yourself?

I watch Korean dramas, my favorite is “Kill Me Heal Me”. It’s about a guy who has multi personality disorder and this girl helps him out with it, and she falls in love. It’s intense and cute and funny at the same time.

What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?

Contemporary dance. It’s an emotional outlet, a lot of floorwork, a lot of throwing my arms around in an emotional manner and crying through my body.

How long have you been dancing?

Eight years!

What do you look for in a boyfriend?

Similar political views so that we don’t clash too much, an active voice- someone who says what he feels and he isn’t passive about anything. Someone who basically tries to improve the community and environment. Oh, and purpose, I can’t date someone without purpose.

If you were stranded on an island, what’s one thing you would need to have with you?

Sunscreen I guess, you gotta take care of your skin dude, what if you get skin cancer after they find you!?

Who is your role model?

Drake, he has a sense of humor there was this one interview where he interviewed what others thought of him, he doesn’t take himself too seriously and I think it’s important to have fun.

On a scale of 1 to Buddy the Elf how excited are you for Christmas?

6.7. I am just excited to take a break. I am excited for the new year!

What is your favorite family Christmas tradition?

We eat Chinese food!

What organizations are you apart of?

CSA, PCE, TVSA, KASA, Hip-Hop Choreo Club

Tell us more about Hip-Hop Choreo Club!

We basically have a community of dancers, workshops every week and we perform for events such as charity ball, lantern festival and culture fest it was small last year but it’s definitely growing! I love it because I feel like I have a family in it, it’s not competitive and everyone tries to help everyone out.

What is one song you wish you could have written yourself?

I think “Hotline Bling” is kinda funny. Not that song, no. I wish I wrote “Thinking About You” by Frank Ocean because it’s pretty clever and the verses are pretty metaphorical.
Favorite line” my eyes don’t shed tears before they ball, but boy they ball.

Do you have a signature dance move?

The Cathy– which she describes as “Weeeeee.”
Megan Schellong is a Journalism junior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Megan loves puns, NPR, photography and running (occassionally). When she's not writing, Megan enjoys finding new music on Spotify and reading through as much of the news in her Twitter feed as possible. This year will be Megan's second year with Her Campus and she is excited for what's to come!
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.