Campus Cutie and Cultural Theorist Tristan Noack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Hometown: San Diego (actual San Diego, not North County)

Major: Philosophy

Relationship status: Single—I have a pretty nice duvet by the way.

Hey Tristan, good to meet you: Thanks you too.

So, I hear you’re a big deal in the Cal Poly cultural theory scene. Tell me a little about your involvements on campus!

That’s flattering but I’m not sure what to say. I wouldn’t necessarily say I’m a big deal in the Cal Poly cultural theory scene considering a cultural theory scene must first exist for me to be a big deal in; I do write for KCPR though. I’ve written two articles so far, the first was more concerned with philosophy than the second, so I suppose it is right to call cultural theory, but the second had better reception.

Wow, that’s really impressive. Let’s hear a little about that article you mentioned:

Well, my second article was about Japanese Shoegaze, a genre of music that is very ethereal (the article is named “The Ethereal East”). It has attracted some interest from different online music communities and has generally been well received, so I’m quite proud of it. I joke to my friends that this article has been read more than all of the philosophical works that I hope I publish in my career will be read combined.

Sounds fascinating. It seems like you’re really aesthetically inclined. How would you describe your wardrobe?

I wear pale skinny jeans nearly every day with a band t-shirt or button down shirt depending on the weather. If it’s especially chilly I’ll throw on a bomber, quilted jacket, or denim jacket. I also have these horribly dilapidated white keds that I can’t bring myself to throw in the garbage. Some time ago I put effort into dressing with some degree of originality, but now I’m pretty ‘basic’ (save for the occasional skirt). 

Do you think art should be judged based on how well it fits in a genre, on its features, or on how its features are taken together as a whole?

What an odd question, but I’ve thought about it quite a lot as someone interested in aesthetics and art history. I would definitely reject the first conception—that we ought to judge something based on how well it exemplifies a certain kind of thing. If we take that to its beginning, it doesn’t really make sense. How could a tragedy be properly Sophoclean before Sophocles became part of the canon? The other two are actually a lot more similar than one might think. I’m tempted to affirm the last option, but isn’t it the case that the features of an artwork as a whole are dependent on the individual features that make said whole? I’m not sure I can comfortably give a definitive answer in a short interview; I’ll have to chew on this a bit.

Food for thought, certainly. How about the best and worst parts of SLO’s local cultural features?

I’d say the worst part of SLO’s local cultural features is definitely the disturbingly high prevalence of equine fetishism. I know arguments have been made by plenty of philosophers throughout history suggesting that sex with animals is okay. Maybe I’m being puritanical by saying I think it’s disgusting and immoral. The best feature is definitely KCPR, our campus radio station. I’m sure everyone thinks I’m just promoting the station, but it really helped me develop my own taste and discover new local music. I’ve listened to the station long before joining this year and it’s on an upward trajectory.

You’re a music journalist—what do you look for in good music?

You know that’s a really tough question that I myself struggle with quite often. I like different genres for different reasons. I might like a folk or emo album for the lyrics; It may be that the lyrics are relatable or that the artist has constructed a great concept album with characters that develop as you make your way through the album. Shoegaze and dream pop are two of my favorite genres—and for me, the lyrics are secondary. I speak to this more in my article, but there’s just a warmth and intimacy to these genres that feels like holding someone close. Vaporwave is another genre I’ve really come to enjoy and I’ve been writing about it a bit. I think I like it mostly as a cultural narrative—one that questions our notions of authenticity, recognition, and individuality.

In a word, describe the best solution to the current crisis in American politics:

Existentialism

Agreed. Well, thanks for your insights Tristan. Everyone, be sure to catch his articles on KCPR for an interesting look into contemporary music and popular (or perhaps unpopular!) culture.

Lorenzo is a Cal Poly SLO undergraduate Philosophy major and social justice advocate. He enjoys strong black tea and hiking on cold days. Though a student of logical conceptual analysis at heart, his interests also include feminism, social and political equality, applied ethics, and modern cultural theory.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.