Campus Celeb: Audrey Cody

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

She’s got a head full of curls and dreams of equality for girls!

Photo Credit: Katy Barnard

Today I sat down with Audrey Cody, the president of Women SPEAK, a club dedicated to helping young women be informed on issues we all face every day.  As a new member of the club, I already have a sense of community and feel free to talk within our safe space. Currently, the members of the club are undergoing some basic training pertaining to women’s health, social media and leadership. Later, we will be taking on the role of mentors to young girls in a local high school.

The club as it exists today could not be possible without the passion of its members under the enthusiasm of Audrey. Her unique worldview allows her to see from different perspectives. It’s like the phrase, seeing the world through “rose tinted glasses.”  Some people choose to live their life and not acknowledge the struggles of others. While others, like Audrey, add lens after lens of perspective until hopefully the whole light spectrum is available, with a balanced and knowledgeable perception of the world around us.

While chatting with her, I realized why I love her leadership style so much. Audrey is passionate about everything Women SPEAK stands for, and carries that with her into her everyday life. She is a feminist, and believes in the movement, but she is also approachable and relatable. Members of the club know that they can speak and have their voices heard, and not have them judged, chastised or belittled. It seems like often times when people get so involved and passionate about something, they forget that everyone must start somewhere, and tend to patronize those with only a little knowledge on the subject. But Audrey and Women SPEAK are different, because they know that through the education and empowerment of women; even the smallest of voices can be heard.

Here’s what Audrey had to say about SPEAK, feminism and Harry Styles.

HCCP: Year/Major/Minor?

Audrey Cody: Year: Junior

Major: Anthropology and Geography

Minor: Women and Gender Studies 

HCCP: What do you have to say to people that do not think Women and Gender Studies is not a “practical” choice of study, job wise?

AC: To those people, I would say that the things you learn in WGS can be applied everywhere. Women and Gender studies is a lens that allows for a deeper understanding and a new perspective.

HCCP: What makes you love WGS so much?

AC: I love every aspect of it. It change[s] the way I viewed the world. Gender affects everything.

Audrey is an anthropology major, which studies humankind and their societies. With her knowledge in both anthropology and women and gender studies, she has synthesized a unique perspective.

HCCP: What are you involved with on campus? Clubs, organizations, ect.

AC: Aside from being the president of Women SPEAK, [I am] also the social media representative for Triota, an activist group at Cal Poly.

She also volunteers with and has worked closely with the Gender Equity Center.

HCCP: Would you consider yourself a feminist?

AC: Yes, of course.

HCCP: What does feminism mean to you?

AC: It means a lot.

Her vision is always evolving. To Audrey, feminism means more than just equality between men and women. It is something that should be taken with an intersectional approach.

HCCP: For those of you who do not know what intersectional feminism is, think of an intersection or crossroads. It is where the political, social, and economic issues of all races and genders are represented within feminism.  It is the recognition that a black woman faces different feminist issues than a white woman might. For example, when interviewing for a job, a white woman may be subject to sexism, but a black women will more than likely face both sexism and racism. It is the recognition that different people have different privileges. It is important for all feminists to “know your privilege” and acknowledge that women face differing extents of oppression.

HCCP: Can you tell us more about Women SPEAK?

AC: Women SPEAK has four main pillars:

1. Healthy Body Image

2. Perception of Gender in the Media

3. Healthy Relationships

4. Mentorship

Its main focus is the empowerment of women. The Cal Poly chapter focuses on mentoring young women in our community by providing them with the broad scope of what women face across the nation.

HCCP: How did Women SPEAK start on Cal Poly’s campus? Tell us more about what the Women SPEAK club did last year.

AC: The club was originally started by Allison Gross, a Sociology major, for her senior project. Women SPEAK is a national organization and has chapters at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Diamond Bar High School, Harvard University, Howard University, Mount St. Mary’s University, South Hills High School, Stanford University, St. Lucy’s Priory HS, UC San Diego, University of Arizona, and University of Pennsylvania.

Credit: Women Speak Chapter

Last year, Women SPEAK at Cal Poly went every other week to SLO High School’s Women of the Word Club to do different educational activities and discussions. They then did a final, daylong summit with guest speakers and discussions.

HCCP: Why do you think mentorship to young girls is so important?

AC: It’s particularly important to me because I wish I had had a program like this when I was younger.  I think it’s startling not to have even heard the word “feminism” until college. It makes me kinda angry.

But she’s turning that frustration into a passion to help younger girls have the opportunities that she did not. Audrey believes that it’s important to mentor young women, so they are exposed to a positive community of feminists. (We’re not all bra-burning man-haters, you know).

HCCP: If you could do one thing to change the world, what would it be?

AC:… A lot of things, because our world has a lot of problems. One thing I’d like to see changed is the number of sexual assaults against women.

Violence against women should be eliminated. Period.

HCCP: Who’s your celebrity crush?

AC: Every member of One Direction, especially Harry Styles.

HCCP: If you were an ice-cream flavor, which would you be, and why?

AC: Mint Chip at Trader Joe’s (Because she’s fresh, cool and in mint condition).

HCCP: Who do you have your eye on for the upcoming presidential election?

AC: I’m feelin’ the Bern.

‘Nuff said.

HCCP: What’s your ideal, relaxing day like?

AC: Probably like a shopping spree at Sephora or Lush – or both! And then go home and cozy up with hot cocoa, if it’s winter, and watch movies.

That sounds perfect to me.

HCCP: Do you have a mantra or quote that is important to you?

AC: “You are who you choose to be,” from The Iron Giant. (*sob)

HCCP: This is an important thing to remember. Beyond the media, beyond gender roles, beyond sexism, beyond hate, beyond society – there is you – the person you have the power to be. If society says look like this, you have the authority to say, “No, I would rather be happy. I would rather be me.” And this is what Women SPEAK teaches young girls, and what Audrey Cody at Cal Poly is so passionate about.

If you would like to learn more about the amazing Women SPEAK organization, check out their website linked in this sentence!

You can also follow Women SPEAK on Facebook, and be sure to check out the Women SPEAK Cal Poly Chapter on Facebook too!

If you want to get involved, stop by on Fridays 12-1 in Building, Room 225!

Meghan is a third year Anthropology and Geography major at Cal Poly.
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.