Science and Math 180
Science and Math 180
Original photo by Nicole Poirier

Cal Poly Bucket List Items You Need to Experience Before the School Year Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As we are nearing the last few weeks of your first,  or possibly, your senior year, why not jam-pack your schedule with a few of these activities before your time is up!

For My Foodies

After living in SLO for at least a year, I am sure you have found some of your favorite food spots. My personal favorites are Gino’s Pizza, Frank’s Famous Hot Dogs, and of course,  Giuseppes. Gino’s Pizza is hands down the best pizza I have ever tasted. My family and friends can attest to this pizza being the yummiest as well. The crust is perfectly cooked and the right kind of doughy. I suggest also ordering the house salad with ranch dressing; the dressing is homemade and the mozzarella cheese on the salad is delicious. Frank’s Famous Hot Dogs my dad and I stumbled upon before going to a Cal Poly baseball game. The atmosphere is busy and upbeat making you feel like you are in a true hot dog diner. Make sure you order your dog “Frank’s Way”. Last but not least, Guiseppes is a MUST try as a Cal Poly student. It is definitely more on the pricey side so save up some of that coin and join your roommates to a nice dinner night. Don’t fill up on the complimentary bread too much; save some room for their exquisite gelato. 

For My Hikers

If you have not hiked the P yet, make it your goal for the week! It is a short, rewarding hike that can easily be done in under an hour. And even if you have hiked the P before, why not go again and appreciate the beautiful, aerial view of Cal Poly. Also, check out Architectural Graveyard if you have not already. There are enormous trees that are super interesting to look at during the walk in and you might even spot a cow or a horse. Happy Hiking! 

For My Beach Crowd

Shell Beach is my favorite beach in the SLO area! This is a breath-taking beach with gorgeous views and just as gorgeous homes preceding the beach. You can hang above the beach on a grassy area and picnic or just lay out with your friends. If you want to walk down to the beach, make sure you check the tides prior to ensure you will not run into any high-tide waves. Type in “Beachcomber Drive S” and that will take you to the correct beach spot.  If you love the beach, s’mores, and hanging out with friends, you have to check out the Grover Beach bonfires. Grab some firewood, a lighter, s’more fixings and hang out at the beach fire pits as you hear the waves crashing right next to you. It is such a fun experience and something I can not do at home. 

Happy adventuring! Congratulations to all our seniors :)

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.