The Best Seasonal Coffees to Try in SLO Coffee Shops This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Since Starbucks first introduced the pumpkin spice latte (PSL) in 2004, fall has been increasingly popular time for specialty coffee drinks to appear in cafes and shops across the nation. With more than 50 coffee shops in San Luis Obispo, there are so many different specialty coffees available, it seems nearly impossible to try them all! That’s why we’ve rounded up a list of the 7 best specialty drinks offered at local coffee shops – each and every one is sure to have you sharing photos on Instagram to espresso your love of coffee!  

1. Scout Coffee – Spiced Butterscotch Latte

At Scout, the arrival of fall means the chance to usher in one of their customers’ favorite creations – the spiced butterscotch latte. This sweet, frothy drink is made with a butterscotch syrup and a delicious blend of fall spices that is evoke fond memories of  long walks on crisp autumn evenings.

2. Kreuzberg – Bailey’s Add-In

Kreuzberg doesn’t have any plans to hop on the PSL bandwagon, but they have started shaking things up this season – they are now offering Bailey’s Irish Cream as an add-in for their regular coffees. Guests 21 and older are invited to stop by and enjoy some Irish coffee to help warm them up on cold mornings!

3. Black Horse Espresso and Bakery – Pumpkin White Mocha 

In the fall, Black Horse likes to offer a twist on their traditional white mocha – the pumpkin white mocha! This yummy treat is prepared with white chocolate and a pumpkin spice blend to create a unique take on a fall classic. Pair it with one of Black Horse’s famous pastries for the perfect breakfast!

4. Libertine Brewing Company – Golden Milk Coffee

Libertine is known for their trailblazing ways, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that they offer a very unique seasonal drink – golden milk coffee. Turmeric, a popular spice known for its earthy aroma and many health benefits, is mixed into your choice of milk, creating a golden milk that can be added to your coffee.

5. Coastal Peaks Coffee – Autumn Spiced Latte

Coastal Peaks came up with a seasonal drink that is perfect not only for fall, but also winter! The autumn spiced latte contains a variety of seasonings that blend together beautifully to create a delicious drink inspired by the flavors of pumpkin and gingerbread pastries.

6. Linnaea’s Cafe – Pumpkin Pie Latte

Linnaea’s has a very special coffee that they like to bring to the table – a pumpkin pie latte made with real pumpkin! Linnaea’s employees have spent the last few years perfecting their blend of pumpkin and spices to develop a drink that tastes just like the iconic Thanksgiving dessert.

7. Sally Loo’s Wholesome Cafe – Ethiopia, Columbia, Brazil

Sally Loo’s likes to ring in the season by bringing in new types of coffee beans from Ethiopia, Columbia, and Brazil. Each blend has its own rich flavor that will be sure to give you all the energy you need to conquer your day!

With so many different coffees in SLO, there’s no reason to limit yourself to the regular coffee they serve in the dining hall. Take a chance to explore SLO by trying out some of the great coffees offered at these fabulous shops!

Audrey is a senior studying agricultural sciences at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. After graduating, she plans to get a teaching credential and master's in Agricultural Education, and pursue a career as an agricultural science teacher and FFA advisor. Outside of school, she works as a teaching assistant at a local high school. In her free time, she can be found square dancing, rocking out to Taylor Swift, or whipping up tasty treats and (attempting) to take a decent photo of them for Instagram. Facebook: Audrey Lent Twitter: @TheAudreyLent Instagram: @Audrey_Lent