The Best Of “The Office”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Every once in a while, a show comes along that can change your life. For me, “The Office” is one of those shows, and I’m sure many of you feel the same. Here I’ve gathered 15 of the best episodes, (listed chronologically, not ranked), though the task of narrowing it down was not simple. If you’ve never seen the show, there are major spoilers ahead, so go watch all nine seasons on Netflix and then come back!

Now, if you are in need of a little distraction and are feeling nostalgic for the show, then let’s reminisce together on the brilliance that is “The Office.”

1. “Pilot”

Ah, this is where it all began. It’s the episode that leaves you thinking, how am I ever going to find this Michael Scott character likeable? But of course, you will. And this episode contains the infamous jello prank, the beginning of Jim and Dwight’s beautiful friendship.

Best line(s): “Damn it Jim! He put my stuff in jello again.” –Dwight

2.  “The Dundies”

The season 2 opener is a classic, as Michael throws his annual office awards ceremony at (where else?) Chili’s. There’s major romantic tension between Jim and Pam and awkward and offensive Michael jokes, what else do you need?

Best line(s): “And I feel God in this Chili’s tonight” –Pam

3. “The Injury”

This episode might be my favorite, not that I can really make a decision like that, but if I had to, this one would definitely be up there. The hilarious episode, written by the wonderful Mindy Kaling, deals with Michael, who has burned his foot on his George Foreman grill while trying to make bacon—naturally. It is perfect from start to finish.

Best line(s): “I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon, sue me.” –Michael

4.      “Conflict Resolution”

In this episode, office complaints about other employees become public, and a bit of a frenzy ensues. The best part is when Michael reads all of Dwight’s complaints about Jim, detailing some of the best pranks he has ever played on him.

Best line(s): Jim: “Dwight tried to kiss me. And I didn’t tell anyone because I’m not really sure how I feel about it.” Dwight: That is not true. Redact it! Redact it!”

5. “Casino Night”

Jim and Pam. Jim and Pam. Jim and Pam. That is all.

Best line(s): “Why are you the way that you are? I hate so much about the things you choose to be.” –Michael (to Toby of course)

6. “The Return”

This gem of an episode has everything—an office party, a brilliant Jim prank, and the mental unraveling of Andy Bernard. Jim steals Andy’s phone and puts it in the ceiling, calls it multiple times, and lets Andy’s “Rockin’ Robin” ring tone echo through the office—resulting in Andy’s trip to anger management and a hole in the wall. This episode demands a re-watch right now!

Best line(s): “Sorry I annoyed you with my friendship!” –Andy

7. “Product Recall”

An inappropriate watermark is found on a shipment of paper, but we all know that the best part of this episode is Jim’s dead-on impersonation of Dwight, and Dwight’s hilarious attempt to retaliate at the end. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica. Brilliant.

Best line(s): “Identity theft is not a joke Jim!” –Dwight

8. “Dunder Mifflin Infinity”

Michael attempts to win back some former Dunder Mifflin customers with elaborate gift baskets, and when it all goes wrong, one of the most iconic Michael Scott moments occurs. If you don’t replay the “Where are the turtles?” scene at least three times while watching this episode, I hate to break it to you, but you’re doing it wrong. Other highlights include Kelly’s reaction to Ryan’s return and the ongoing saga between Dwight and Angela regarding the death of her cat Sprinkles.   

Best line(s): “I just wanna be friends. Plus a little extra. Also, I love you.” –Dwight

9. “Stress Relief”

This episode has the best cold open of ALL time. Seriously, the first time I ever saw this episode I was crying from laughter. Also, the subsequent CPR training/ “Stayin’ Alive” scene is priceless. Save Bandit!

Best line(s): “Stanley, you will not die! Stanley, Barack is president! You are black Stanley!” –Michael 

10. “New Boss”

I love this episode, (not only because John Krasinski looks good in a tuxedo), but because Charles is the only character not impressed by Jim’s humor and charm, therefore Jim’s attempts to impress the new boss are hysterically awkward.

Best line(s): It’s a toss-up between the petting zoo and “Tell him to call me ASAP as possible” –Michael

11.  “Niagara”

Okay, I know I said before that I couldn’t choose a favorite, but I lied. I think “Niagara” is my all-time favorite episode of The Office. Jim and Pam’s wedding scene on the boat in Niagara Falls is perfection, and the rest of the office acts as ridiculously as you’d expect them to, but in the best possible way. It is adorable, romantic, and very well written, (thank you again Mindy Kaling!). How could the best television couple of all-time getting married be anything short of amazing?

Best line(s): “The boat was actually plan C. The church was plan B, and plan A was marrying her a long, long time ago. Pretty much the day I met her.” –Jim

12. “The Delivery”

What’s the next best thing after Jim and Pam’s wedding? How about the birth of their first baby! The two episodes devoted to Pam’s labor and delivery are pretty hilarious, including the baby mix-up (see gif) and the male lactation specialist that leaves Jim feeling pretty uncomfortable. Another highlight: Dwight’s spontaneous renovation of their home while they are in the hospital. Gotta love Dwight.

Best line(s): “Jim, I don’t want the first thing the baby hears to be the ‘Eight Mile’ soundtrack.” –Pam

13. “Garage Sale”

This one is bittersweet. Michael proposes to his perfect match, Holly, in an endearing and romantic way—but we also learn that they will be moving to Colorado, effectively tearing a massive hole in all of our hearts.

Best line(s): Michael: “Holly Flax, marrying me will you be?” Holly: “Your wife becoming, me will I.”  

14.  “Goodbye, Michael”

This episode is painful, and if you get through it without crying you might be a robot. Sad as it is to lose Michael, it is a beautiful send-off for his character, and knowing that he will be happy with Holly is comforting. Reach for the tissues when you get to the airport scene with Pam.

Best line(s): “Hey, will you guys let me know if this thing ever airs?” –Michael

15. “Finale”

I think we can collectively agree to skip over that grey area known as seasons 8 and 9, a sad time during which the writing quality worsened, character development lagged, and a Michael Scott-less world was almost too much to bear. That brings us, however, to the series finale. Again, if you can make it through this episode without crying, you might not actually be human. Michael’s surprise return made the episode, and we were left feeling good about the characters that had become like family over the past nine seasons. But, if you get to this point and are feeling down, don’t worry, you can always go back and start it all over again—there are never too many times to start watching “The Office” from the beginning. 

Best line(s): “I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days, before you’ve actually left them.” –Andy

Catch you on the flippity-flip!

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8