The Apps Every Cal Poly Student Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The struggle is REAL when it comes to knuckling down and focusing on being a successful student. When it comes to school, every little bit of help counts. Here is a list of helpful apps that will help you be a more productive and organized student!

Google Drive: Access any file, any place, anytime.

As students we have a million different essays, PDF textbooks, presentations and programs filling up all the space on our computers. We can go through a dozen USB drives in our college career because we never want to get rid of anything and are always passing down our work to help our younger counterparts get a step ahead.  The idea of an online drive for all your files is nothing new, but to all those avid DropBox users, 2 free GB is nowhere NEAR enough! When you include all your files, textbooks and photos, you’ll be lucky if that will get you through one year before you have to pay for more space. With Google Drive you get 15 GB of free storage and you can access it from anywhere with internet access on any device! Sync your Google Drive with all of your devices through apps on you smart phone, tablet and computer.

Maths Alarm Clock & Sleep If U Can: Wake up and stop sleeping through class!

Have a hard time getting out of bed? Snooze your alarm excessively? Maths Alarm Clock is an app that requires you to solve a math problem in the morning to snooze or turn off your alarm! Not a math person? Problem is too simple to get you out of bed? Try the “World’s Most Annoying Alarm App” Sleep If U Can. This app requires you to get up and out of bed and take a photo of any pre-designated area in your house.

SelfControl: Get off Facebook and write that essay!

Do you ever find yourself having spent hours at the library or at a desk on your computer with the intention of completing an assignment that should only take half that time? Do you find yourself spending more time on social media than actually doing your homework? Have you ever been SO desperate to curb your addiction to social media that you have to ask a friend to change your password for you? If your answer is yes to any of these questions then download the app SelfControl. It allows you to put timed restrictions on websites to keep you from your distractions and help you stay focused!

Venmo: Put it on my tab.

Whether you are over 21 and racking up a friends tab while bar-hopping or spotting your roomie for a much-needed Saturday morning Breakfast Buzz burrito, as college students we are always owing someone money. Venmo is an amazing app that conveniently connects directly to your bank account essentially giving you the ability to directly TEXT MONEY to someone! It is great for splitting utilities, groceries, or buying used textbooks from fellow classmates!

Notability: Save your wallet and your back!

Sick of killing your back from toting around notebooks and binders full of paper for every class? Save your back and loads of money with Notability! You can use it on any tablet and its great for taking notes, downloading and organizing handouts or PDFs and has a ton of great features! With Notability you can use a stylus to write much more easily than any other note-taking app, and trust me, I’ve tried them all.  Add photos, type text and record audio!

BillGuard: Save money and train your spending habits:

We all know that being a college student is not cheap and it is important to try and save a penny anywhere you can! With BillGuard you can connect all your accounts and credit cards and it monitors all of your spending for you! In an incredibly organized manner, see what you are spending your money on and learn how to save and where you need to cut back with spending graphs and the ability to compare your spending with multiple months at a time. It even alerts you when you have a bill to pay! Best part? It’s free!

iStudiez Pro: Get organized and keep up with your grades.

Schedule your classes, group meetings, favorite workouts, office hours and anything else you might put on your academic calendar with iStudiez Pro. With this app you can keep track of your assignments with reminders and alerts that let you know when a quiz, exam or project due date might be arriving. The best part? It even keeps track of your grades for you! If you are the type that likes to know what your grade in a class is throughout the whole quarter but your teachers don’t update Polylearn, this app will do it for you and even sync on all of your devices, from your computer to your smart phone to your tablet. 

With a little help from these apps you’ll be a more efficient and successful student, so what are you waiting for? Get to downloading!

As a Cal Poly mechanical engineering student from the LA suburbs of Pasadena, California, I like to think of myself as a bit of a nerd, a total foodie, and an occasional fashionista....at least I follow lots of fashionistas on Instagram. Does that count? When I'm not living in the library I love soaking up the sun along with all the beauty and activities the central coast has to offer including hiking, kayaking, and, of course, enjoying the endless variety of local food options.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu