C5C26BDA 99A0 45B6 8361 2DF33D0741D8JPEG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
C5C26BDA 99A0 45B6 8361 2DF33D0741D8JPEG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Celina Aquino

All About Rihanna’s Iconic Savage X Fenty Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF32KFxl9jB/

Just when we thought 2020 was a big fast bust, Rihanna gave us what we didn’t know we needed. She’s back at it again with another fashion show and this one’s better than ever. Her first-ever runway show held in New York made big headlines because it was the first time the public had ever seen such a democratic plan unfold, incorporating affordable prices and a wide size range from XS to XXXL. This moment changed the parameters of the fashion and modeling industry as we know it. 

For the debut of her second lingerie collection, Rihanna welcomed models of all shapes and sizes. Stars such as Lizzo, Paris Hilton, Shea Couleé, Willow Smith, Demi Moore, Normani, Bella Hadid, Cara Delevigne and more made their appearance. Travis Scott, Rosalía, Miguel, Bad Bunny and Ella Mai also put on live performances. ‘Twas a fashion extravaganza to say the least, but most of all, we love to see the diversity and inclusivity shine through as Rihanna showcases the beauty of different sizes, races, and gender identities.

To no surprise, Rihanna was the creative director behind the entirety of what she likes to call her “fashion musical.” She says during a meeting with her fellow creative Alex Rudzinski, “I’m literally seeing bodies as pieces of art and we can make a visual impact with that.” 

Her first show was unquestionably legendary, but it’s no doubt that she has created yet another unconventional spectacle for the world to see. She has changed the lingerie game as we know it. Victoria’s Secret is no longer on top, as they have been notorious for refusing to include plus-size and transsexual models in their campaigns. The people are demanding to see body positivity and inclusivity in the fashion industry, and Rihanna is giving the people what they want. Give us more, Rihanna.

Malia Sine is currently studying at California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo with a major in Communication Studies. Malia studied abroad in Florence, Italy where she attended Milan Fashion Week and gained valuable skills from her fashion marketing and accessory design classes. Her passion for writing about innovative artistic expression stems from her love of aesthetic composition and innate ability to join separate components together into a beautiful whole. As a creative, Malia enjoys designing handbags, upcycling clothes, and creating mood boards for inspiration. She aspires to become a leader at the forefront of the fashion and beauty industry.