This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The ancient technique of using rice water for hair growth and health has made its way to Gen Z. Many people have been showing off their new healthier hair on TikTok and attributing it to fermented rice water. This technique stems from the Heian period (794 to 1185 CE) in Japan and is seen most prominently today in southern China where the Yoa women there are famously known for their striking, extraordinarily long hair that stays black until they are around eighty years old. They even won a Guinness world record for the longest hair village. 

The Yao women believe that having long hair is an auspicious sign of good fortune, good health, and longevity. Luckily, their secret is finally being shared with the rest of the world. 

What makes the water so powerful for your hair is all of the vitamins and minerals in the water. Rice itself contains seventy-five to eighty percent starch, and the rice water is all of that starchy water that remains after soaking or cooking the rice. Rice water contains many of the vitamins and minerals from the rice, including amino acids, B-vitamins, vitamin E, minerals and antioxidants,

All of these elements work together to make your hair grow longer, detangle easier, increase shine, and make it smoother. Speaking from personal experience, I recently decided to try it out and after only one use there was a significant difference in my hair. I have damaged hair from bleaching and heat, and after rinsing out my hair with rice water, I can confidently attest to its magic. My hair was immediately softer and my waves looked a lot healthier. 

To ferment the rice water, all you have to do is take about a cup of rice ( I personally used jasmine rice but any white rice will do) and rinse it off. You have to rinse it out to ensure that all of the dirt or particles from the rice being processed won’t be fermented. Then you place your clean rice in a mason jar, or any tightly sealed jar, with water filled to the top and let it sit at room temperature for twelve to twenty-four hours. Let it get cloudy.

The smell can be overwhelming for some people, so if you are sensitive to smell, I recommend putting some orange peels or essential oils to mask the fermented smell. You can rinse your shampoo with it (what I did) or you can wear it as a mask for about 10-15 before you shampoo and condition your hair. As long as rice water touches your hair in any capacity, it will be effective. 

Only do this about once a week or even twice a month depending on your hair. Rice water is very strong, so do not underestimate its power!

Alexa Kushner

Cal Poly '22

I am a fourth-year journalism major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I am currently an editor and writer for Her Campus and have been involved with the club since the beginning of my junior year. In the future, I hope to be a broadcast journalist with a news station and I am currently working with Mustang News radio and television to gain more experience in the field. In my free time, I enjoy painting, watching movies and just laughing with friends.