AEPHI: Everything You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

There is, nowadays, a certain need to tip-toe around religious matters. It can be a sensitive topic and one that is somewhat awkward to talk about. But without having an open mind and an openness to talking about the different religions, judgments and perceptions get clouded over. This is where hatred and ignorance are born.

I identify as Jewish. I have been raised Jewish with a dash of non-Judaic religion from my mom. I love the traditions that have been passed down through the years in my own family and through the generations of Jewish people before me. I have never truly faced any adversity towards my religious faith, but more a sense of curiosity. I looked into attending a few events put on by the religious organization Chabad of SLO and found that the Jewish community on Cal Poly’s campus is one that is prevalent and thriving. It was at these events where I learned about AEPHI, the Jewish sorority on campus. After getting in contact with the sorority’s president, Olivia Einbund, a third year Psychology major, I was able to interview some of the AEPHI members about their experiences with Judaism at home, on campus, and how it has wholly affected their lives.

“When I was applying, [Jewish organizations] were something I looked into.” Olivia explained about her process for looking into colleges. “I’m from the LA area. It’s something I’ve grown up with.” This was the similar answer for two of the other girls I interviewed. Shoshana Young, a fourth year mechanical engineer, had the opposite outlook when looking into schools.

“Coming to Cal Poly, I didn’t want to do religious things. I wanted to change gears.” Coming from the LA area as well, Shoshana had a background of a large Jewish community. “I was lonely and I didn’t really have a home.” she continued about her first year at Poly. “Then I sought out the Jewish community.”

That was a word that stuck out to me throughout the interviews: community. Shoshana continued, “Judaism shapes my sense of community. Growing up in that [the Jewish religion], that’s what I consider community.”

Hallie Bereny, a fourth year sociology major, described how she has found her “Jewish home on campus” with the girls from the sorority through religion. “It creates a family. You have this instant connection with someone. I could go across the world and go into a synagogue and understand the service.”  

Sabrina Meleo, a first year city and regional planning major, had a similar opinion. “There’s just something about the Jewish people, a sense of community.” Also coming from the LA area. Sabrina expressed how Judaism is a huge part of her identity. “It never really hit me until I came here but being Jewish was a huge part of growing up. It gave me such a great backbone to fall back on.”

With the issue of adversity towards being Jewish, Hallie had faced some.  But it wasn’t from a place of deep rooted hatred, but more of a place of misunderstanding. “You would be surprised how many people are uneducated about what religions are. I don’t think people get other people’s religions. It’s just an unawareness.”

Like me, the three other girls had not faced adversity, but more a general sense of curiosity.

“People come to college with the goal of being open minded and meeting new people.” Olivia acknowledged. “That plays a role in why there is not that much adversity that I have experienced [at Poly]”

“I love when people what to know. I love talking about Judaism. I take pride in it!” Sabrina proclaimed.

This curious nature is one we should adopt for all religions. There are clubs and organizations on campus that are not advertised and thus, not known. But, as Olivia so wonderfully said it, it is “not for lack of wanting. But just because there is so much at Cal Poly.”

Shoshana added, “You have to seek it out. There’s so much information coming at us. If you are seeking it out, it will be there for you.”

As for the possibility of events like those at UC Davis or UCLA happening at Cal Poly, all the girls said it could happen here. “I think it just takes a few people to believe in a certain type of hatred. We just have to be ready for anything that comes our way.” Sabrina replied.

Again, the notion of community comes into play. “I know there is a strong Jewish community here that would stand up for itself. And I think that other people would stand up to it too” the sorority president pointed out.

“I think the Jewish culture is very welcoming, very close. There’s not just one set belief, there’s all sorts of ways to be Jewish.” Olivia explained about how Judaism has overall affected her life. “It has given me a perspective and a lens to look at things through, while also being able to change that lens whenever I want to.”

Religion allows you to seek out and find those who share a common tract with you, something that, as it had for these members of the sorority, has shaped who you are today. It can teach you to have your own opinions, as it did for Hallie. It can teach you how the smallest act of kindness can be a big one to someone else, as it did for Shoshana with the idea of mitzvot.  It can give you a sense of pride in what you believe in, as did for Sabrina. It can teach you to be selfless, as it has for Olivia.

This is not just a thread in Judaism, but one that runs through all religions. If we took the time to learn about what makes a religion so sacred to a person, misunderstanding would cease to exist. The hatred that has blossomed for many years would dwindle and die. AEPHI is a Jewish sorority, yes, but it instills its members with a sense of pride and respect for what they believe and what others believe, being an all-inclusive home. If there is one thing, and there are many things, that AEPHI is doing right, it is creating a sense of community among its members— Jewish and non-Jewish—that is a home away from home.

Hayley is a second year English Major at Cal Poly. When she's not reading or studying for classes, she love baking, cooking, eating the said items which she has baked and cooked, listening to music and wandering around campus to find her new favorite spot. She am an avid tea drinker and tea cake eater; you can normally find her downtown at Scout or Linnaea's on the weekends. She is also a fantatic Pinterest-er and her DIY board is ever growing! She is hoping to go abroad next year to the UK and explore Europe during her time abroad. Also meeting Benedict Cumberbatch would be a plus of going there... If you ever see her around campus, don't be shy to come and chat about anything, whether it be music, food, the smell of the pavement aftter rain, or Benedict himself! 
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8