Accepted!? Class of 2019: Welcome to “Learn By Doing”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s that time of the year again when admissions have come out and all of the high school seniors realize they have to make one of the arguably most difficult decisions of their life. Well, I am here to tell anyone who got accepted into Cal Poly SLO that it is actually the best school ever.

Personally, when it came to my college decision I will admit Cal Poly was not my first choice. I always envisioned myself attending a UC, for at the time I viewed it as the most prestigious education I could receive. I worked really hard in high school—started clubs, played sports and studied hard. In my mind, I thought, why wouldn’t I go to a UC where all successful people seemed to go to school?

For any student who shares this opinion, listen up. I am not writing to advocate against a UC education, but moreover override the presumption that, when it comes to collegiate education in the state of California, UC’s are higher than state level education.

We have all heard the motto over and over: Learn By Doing. We joke about it because of the number of times it’s marketed all around campus and nailed into our brains. But honestly, it is the reason I love Cal Poly.

Learn By Doing allows us to have so much more hands-on experience. My first quarter, I was already taking two journalism classes and I became a published writer… that’s huge! Though it seems small, this accomplishment of mine fired a passion inside of me for writing and I know many others have had similar experiences within their majors.

This idea of hands on experience is something scarcely experienced at other schools, or at least to a lesser extent and definitely not from day one, like here at Cal Poly. It provides someone an immediate view into the field they are planning on going into and gives students their first glimpse of their future careers.

Overall, Learn By Doing provides one of the most unique collegiate educations. It takes the idea of hands-on learning to a completely new level that doesn’t even compare to other educations. This is only one of the many reasons Cal Poly SLO is actually the best school ever.

Welcome, soon-to-be-first-years. We’ll see you at Open House on Saturday!

Junior at Cal Poly, SLO. Co-Campus Correspondent. Lover of dogs and laughter. Music Enthusiast.
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8