99dresses: Guilt-Free Online Shopping

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Shopaholics unite — there’s a new store, and it’s right in the palm of your hand. With 99dresses, an app that recently hit the iOS app store, you can completely revamp your closet for a small fraction of the price (um, did we just die and go to heaven?).

Here’s how it works: after making an account on 99dresses, you post clothes that you no longer want. Then, you can purchase other users’ items, paying just a small fee and shipping. You can have a brand new closet in a matter of weeks!

“Our community is full of shopaholics on a budget!” 99dresses community manager Chandra Robrock said. “When I look at our most active users, some of which I’ve become really great friends with, it’s awesome to see such a diverse group of girls with varying styles, all connecting on their love of fashion and 99dresses.”

It’s the most guilt-free way to shop online, and you won’t have to worry about wasting unwanted clothes — they’re going to a new home.

“My roommate and I both use the app on a regular basis and our closets have completely transformed thanks to 99dresses,” Robrock said. “We’re both pretty conservative with our money so living in NYC, we rarely shop. 99dresses changed that and now we get about 3 packages on average delivered to our door each week. It’s kind of addicting!”

In addition to snagging a new wardrobe, users make new friends. Robrock said the app has a great community feel, which they try to keep a fun, happy and positive shopping environment.

“There’s a sense of friendship amongst users, especially ones that have traded fashion with each other a lot, which I think is really unique to the platform and not something you always see in ecommerce apps,” Robrock said.

The idea behind 99dresses came when the founder, Nikki, was 16 years old. She was tired of spending money on clothes that she didn’t wear after a week. Her solution? Create her own business. In 2010, she started the app in Australia — her home country — and thousands of Aussie fashionistas began trading their clothes. Now, the app is based in New York City and hitting iPhones nationwide.

So what are you waiting for? Download the (free!) app and tell us about all the great deals you find!

Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.