9 Things To Do in SLO Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

After all those late nights at Kennedy Library and projects worth half your grade, winter quarter is finally over! You’ve finished up your 4pm Friday final (seriously, why do those exist?) and you’re ready to actually breathe again. Beyond just catching up on your sleep debt, there are many things to do in this beautiful town of ours in March. Whether you’re an out-of-state student who doesn’t want to pay for airline tickets or you’re just hanging out, here are some fun ideas for spending spring break in SLO and other nearby places:

Go to the beach.

So this may not be the most creative plan, but hear me out: most of the typical beach goers will be gone on other vacations. Which means parking will be soooo much easier to come by. Enjoy your fave spot at Avila knowing you only have to walk 5 minutes to your car instead of 20.

International Film Festival March 14th-20th

SLO is hosting an International Film Festival over break! Although it technically starts during finals week, there are tons of screenings that take place over the weekend. Grab your passes (and some popcorn) soon!

Color Vibe 5K in Santa Maria March 19th

If sitting down throughout Dead Week and Finals Week drove you crazy, consider signing up for this fun run. It’s in Santa Maria, but there will be lots of bright colors to keep you going!

Kayaking in Morro Bay

Reminisce your WOW days by getting a friend and going kayaking! Morro Bay is gorgeous on any given warm day, and you can jump in the water to cool off after all that paddling. Plus, you might even see some seals!

SLO Botanical Garden

If spring break is a time to truly relax, stop by the SLO Botanical Garden for a walk around their flower gardens. Dogs are allowed! They’re also having a semi-annual fundraiser sale  on March 19th, if you’re looking for some new plants for your home decor.

Hiking

Everyone knows that SLO has amazing hiking trails, but they’re even better in the spring! Those green hills will be especially lush after the winter rain. Consider grabbing a tent, gathering some friends, and enjoying a night under the stars (on top of a mountain).

Dance Craze at Kreuzberg Café March 26th

Who knew Kreuzberg could be so Krazy! This popular downtown café is hosting their second annual Dance Craze event where they will be grooving to some old school tunes. A coffeehouse dance party before Spring Quarter starts sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Sunset Drive-In Theater

Two movies with one ticket? If you didn’t get enough from the International Film Festival, the drive-in is a great place to see modern movies with vintage vibes. The movie schedule is updated regularly on their Facebook page.

Try a new Rec Center class.

Remember how you swore you’d go to Breakaway that one time and never did? Or wanted to try Pilates but decided to take a nap instead? Well, now’s your chance to give that gym class a shot! The Rec Center has limited classes over the break, but also way more space in those classes! And hey, if it doesn’t work out, no one will be there to see it.

Valentina Sainato is a 5th year English major and Ethnic Studies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She loves to read, always having a book in hand. She's also a devoted dancer who knows 12 different styles, and runs the SLO swing dancing scene. When she isn't working as a writing tutor, you can find her at any coffee shop in town (probably reading) or trying her best at the gym. Valentina is thrilled to be a writer and the senior editor for Her Campus Cal Poly!
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.