9 Noteworthy Trips to Take During Spring Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.
Whether you’re soaking in home this spring break or traveling to new destinations, taking weekend trips during Spring quarter is an extraordinary way to reap the benefits of living on the central coast in San Luis Obispo. Beautiful beaches, saturated cities, unfathomable forests and scenic spots are within just hours of our school. This variety is something to seize, experience and appreciate. Weekend getaways can make all the difference in decreasing your stress levels, and taking a couple of days off can help you get into a positive mindset, so that you can return to school ready to finish off the quarter strong. Not to mention, these memories traveling with friends will be everlasting. So in no particular order, here are nine weekend trips to consider that will fill your wanderlust void, along with some advice from other students about what you absolutely have to see while you’re there.

1. San Francisco, CA

If you’ve never been, it’s a must. If you have been, there’s still more to explore. Every corner packs character and the views will leave you in awe. From Pier 39 to Luxenberg Street, to The Golden Gate Bridge to the Victorian District, the list of iconic locations goes on and on. In addition to these famed features, you can find an assortment of hidden gems, which include street art, cafes, restaurants, locals and viewpoints. Under four hours away, this city is worth your weekend by far.

“In San Francisco you must go to Mission Cheese in the Mission District! Other great places in the Mission District include Craftsman and Wolves (for crazy good artisan baked goods) and Dandelion Chocolate – they literally have a chocolate factory in the shop, and their European sipping chocolate is amazing!”
-Lily Engel, Cal Poly SLO

“Dolores Park is the perfect place to sit back, unwind and loosen up. The park’s large grass areas are perfect for playing catch, having a picnic, taking naps, etc. Dolores Park is not only the perfect place to relax, but it’s also a great spot for people watching. From hippies to hobos, you’ll find an extensive variety of people coming together and sharing a good time. In addition to its diverse population, Dolores Park features an incredible view of the San Francisco skyline. It’s the perfect place to spend your Sunday afternoon.”
-Caleb d’Oleire, University of San Francisco

2. Monterey, CA

Monterey, California: where the sea otters roam and the waterfront thrives. From beautiful coastal views to dining on the waterfront, quaint Monterey is sure to make your weekend wonderful. Only two hours and fifteen minutes away, there’s a wide range of things to do from hiking to visiting the Aquarium.

“Cannery Row is filled with tons of little shops and great restaurants. John Steinbeck is a huge influence on the town in Cannery Row. The Cannery is right on the water, along with everything else in this town. The view from every restaurant is incredible. At the end of Cannery Row is the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is a must see. There’s so much space dedicated to each animal that it feels as if you are entering its home when you step inside. Other wildlife is prominent along the shore as well. Everywhere you go, whether it’s the wharf or cannery, you’ll see seals and otters playing in the water.”
-Katherine Molinari, CSU Monterey Bay

3. Santa Cruz, CA

This quirky beach town has a personality that you won’t forget. With freelancing forestry complementing the unconquerable coast, the landscape is absolutely breathtaking. The locals play a large role in shaping the eccentric vibe of the city that is, without a doubt, a worthy contender for your weekend plans.

“Natural Bridges is an excellent spot in Santa Cruz for a pleasant beach day. There’s a secluded spot next to this beautiful rocky cliffside that I usually go to. If the weather is on the foggy side, my favorite spot to study or have a cup of coffee is Caffe Pergolesi downtown. This place is extra great because they have shows almost every night. Local bands put on really fantastic shows, free of charge. These two places encompass the overall laid back, communal vibe of Santa Cruz. One of my favorite things about this city is how easy it is to spark up a conversation with a stranger, really about anything. It goes without saying how absolutely beautiful Santa Cruz is, and I can’t imagine calling any other place home.”
-Amanda Bule, UC Santa Cruz

“In Santa Cruz, the West Cliffs are amazing. Samba Rock for Acai bowls. Cafe Brazil. Rodoni Pumpkin Patch in October.”
-Ruby Ludford (Santa Cruz native), Cal Poly SLO

4. Los Angeles, CA

No more parties in L.A.? Kanye, we beg to differ. The stigma of this metropolis extends far beyond state boundaries. The multi-faceted lure of Los Angeles is sure to please a wide spectrum of people. From concerts to spotting celebrities, beaches to basking in pop culture, Los Angeles has the variety for your weekend.

“In L.A. you should check out The Last Bookstore. Book lover or not, it’s an amazing place to go in the heart of downtown L.A. You can get lunch at Grand Central Market, head to the store, browse through books or gaze at the amazing artwork they have in the gallery. And if it’s winter, head to Pershing Square for ice skating.”
-Josue Perez, Cal Poly SLO

5. Santa Barbara, CA

It may be hard to reconcile with the fact that this is where the Gauchos reside, but if we put that fact aside, it’s clear that Santa Barbara encompasses the picturesque California atmosphere. From the serene coastline to the laid-back pace of the city, a trip here is sure to relax your worries.

“The Santa Barbara zoo is a cute idea for a date and a great place to take your family! It’s right along the beach and has so many animals to look at. They even have giraffe feedings for guests. It’s surprisingly inexpensive, totaling $17 per adult, and you can easily spend at least two hours in the park looking at all the exhibits they have to offer.”
-Mady Minas, Cal Poly SLO

“One of my favorite things to do is to get breakfast at Sambo’s On the Beach. It has a gorgeous view of the entire beach and it’s very refreshing in the morning. After breakfast, you can walk along the beach and even down the boardwalk if you fancy. If you’re ever in Santa Barbara, I recommend getting breakfast at Sambo’s!”
-Rohan Moorjani, Cal Poly SLO

6. Sequoia National Forest – Three Rivers, CA

Are you the camping, outdoorsy, would-rather-stargaze-than-rooftop-hunt type? This might be the best weekend spot for you. Sequoia National Forest truly portrays California’s diverse geography – trees towering over you, green glistening around you, nature not neglected. With lodges and campgrounds throughout the park and just outside of it, there are plenty of places to enjoy the astonishing scenery of Sequoia National Forest. 

“In the Sequoia National Forest, there’s a really cool time-share place called R-Ranch. They have horseback riding, paddle boarding, frisbee golf and so much more! The Trail of 100 Giants is also a huge favorite. The Giant Sequoias are like nothing you’ve seen before. Nettle’s Lookout, a hike to a lookout point, is somewhat difficult, but it’s cool to talk to the lady who lives there in isolation to keep watch for forest fires every day. The Ponderosa has really good food and ice cream for post-hike hunger.”
-Hailey Guckes, Cal Poly SLO

7. Big Sur, CA

Can you see the image in your head? The secluded waterfall surrounded by the turquoise water and mossy cliffs. The massive bridge and the highway that lets you move with the land that makes up California’s coast. With the serenity of the surroundings and the unexplored that must be explored, California’s best definitely includes Big Sur. 

“The Big Sur River Inn has a cute river in the back that anyone can go to. There are chairs in the water and lights hanging that make for a beautiful evening! Also, I’d say visit Pfieffer Beach and get that postcard photo of McWay Falls and Bixby Bridge. If you have time, take the Pacific Coast Highway – the views are unreal and only our coast has them this beautiful.”
-Emily Rosario, CSU Long Beach

8. Carpinteria, CA

Carpinteria is one of the closer destinations that make up this list. Just under two hours away, this adorable community will ensure a relaxing, homey experience. A lovely state beach coincides with the personable aspect of the town to create a quaint, friendly community.

“Carpinteria is the perfect beach for boogie boarding. It has good waves and when you’re ready to take a lunch break, a lot of people like to go to The Spot, a burger joint just down the street from the beach. You can also walk further down the street for acai bowls at The Beach Bowl!”
-Megan Scheilong, Cal Poly SLO

9. Montaña de Oro, CA

Looking for an even closer getaway? Montaña de Oro is practically up the street from our home, about a half an hour away. The name meaning “Mountain of Gold,” comes from the golden wildflowers that flood the premises during spring. Hiking trails and gorgeous views of the beach guarantee a tranquil, yet adventure-filled trip.

“I love driving up to Montaña de Oro on the weekends to see the beautiful scenery. Coming from San Diego, this beach reminds me of home and never fails to impress.”
-Casey Tolentine, Cal Poly SLO

Isabel Hughes

Cal Poly '19

.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.