This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The holidays are usually filled with parties, gift-giving, and a whole lot of hot cocoa. But this year, with the COVID-19 pandemic, the holidays are looking more and more bleak. So here are 9 fun COVID-safe winter break activities to bring the joy back into the season.

Get Cozy

Grab your fuzziest socks, snuggliest blanket, and hottest cup of cocoa and curl up in front of the fireplace or on the couch to read.

Watch Holiday Movies

We recommend watching The Grinch, A Christmas Story, Elf, Home Alone, Friendsgiving, Happiest Season, or I Hate New Year’s.

Go Online Shopping

What’s a better way to spend a day than to shop online! This is the perfect time to get all the holiday gifts you need while maybe even getting yourself that sweater you’ve wanted all season.

Backyard Camping

Grab a tent, pillows, sleeping bags, and some snacks and go stargazing in your backyard. Spend a night or two outside to have a quick and easy getaway during the holidays.

Bake Cookies

Nothing gets you more into the holiday spirit than making cookies! You can even box them up for friends, family, or neighbors to share the holiday spirit!

Meditate/ Do Yoga

The holidays can be full of lots of joy and cheer, but also can be stressful with Christmas shopping, bad weather, and a whole lot of family. So make sure to take some time for yourself and meditate or do some yoga to relieve some holiday stress.

Take a hot bubble bath

Depending on where you’re from, cold has a different meaning. But no matter where you are, nothing beats a nice hot bubble bath on a cold, cloudy day. So, soak up some suds and relax in a nice bath!

Board game night

Are you bored at home and everyone in your family is on their phones? Turn that boredom into boredom and pull out some board games to have a game night! If you want to add a little more spice, add some prizes like someone has to do the dishes, or the winner gets ice cream.

Pillow Fort

Bring out your inner child by making the most epic pillow fort you can think of. Enlist the help of your friends and family to create some fun memories.

Hello! I am Nicole Poirier and I am attending Cal Poly SLO as a first year. I have extensive background in the media industry. I have completed an internship with my local 92131 Magazine as a writer as well as an internship with the NBC 7 Media Academy. I was a part of my high school newspaper for three years and was the Editor in Chief. I love traveling, volunteering with shelter animals and spending time with my dog Lola at home. I have earned scholarships from the Scripps Ranch Women's Club as well as from the Scripps Ranch High School counseling department. I hope to share some of my story with you though each article I produce. Enjoy!