8 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Happy Earth Day! April 22 is Earth Day — an important day that should be celebrated! But how?

Here are some ways to celebrate the Earth today (or maybe any day):

1. Cook a vegan or vegetarian meal

Raising animals for food uses 30% of the world’s land mass and produces more greenhouse gas emissions than anything else. Going vegetarian can prevent climate change and rainforest destruction. Consuming less meat and other animal products may be the world’s best chance to prevent or slow down global warming. You don’t have to become a vegan or vegetarian, but try eating less meat once in awhile — it’s healthier, too!

2. Walk, bike, or carpool

It is tempting to enjoy the luxury of driving your own car with the AC on and your music playing, but every small contribution to saving energy counts — Earth Day is the perfect to day for us all to attempt just a tiny bit more.

3. Enjoy the outdoors.

Turn off your computer, your phone, and your lights. Get outside and enjoy the natural light and fresh air. Go to the beach, for a hike, to a park, or maybe just to your backyard. Enjoy this beautiful springtime weather that the Earth offers!

4. Attend an Earth Day fair.

The 2014 Earth Day Fair & Music Festival Sunday, April 27, 2014 at El Chorro Regional Park and San Luis Obispo Botanical Gardens are just a couple Earth Day fairs around the area. Admission is free! For more information visit http://earthdayalliance.com/

5. Volunteer for a clean-up.

A great way to help your community is to volunteer! Get outdoors, pick up a few pieces of trash, and help beautify your town, whether in a beach, park, school, or streets.

6. Dress in green.

Or maybe dress in tie-dye, hippie sandals and flowers in your hair — however you choose to convey and spread love for the Earth.

7. Go thrift-store shopping. 

You’ll “feel incredible.” Thrifting is a super fun way to reuse, recycle and have new clothes! It may take plenty of searching to find clothing you like, but it’s worth it because its cheap!

8. Keep caring.

Continue to love the Earth by recycling, conserving energy and saving water. Reuse bags, recycle plastic and paper, turn off unneeded lights and donate used items even after this wonderful day is over.

Remember, every tiny contribution adds up. Have a lovely Earth Day!

Sophia Liu

Cal Poly '19

Sophia Liu is a second-year architecture major and media arts minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She grew up in a little town in Los Angeles County. A wild dreamer, she loves photography, fashion, and big cities.