7 Strong Female TV Characters Who Should Run For President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With the upcoming election drawing nearer and nearer, the candidates still in the race are looking more extreme and divided than any other recent election. Here are some suggestions of strong women who would arguably do a better job at running the country than some of the actual candidates:

1. Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation)

Leslie Knope is more passionate about politics, eager to please people than any other fictional politician, and the fact that she counts Hillary Clinton as her top role model says it all. Her enthusiasm, self-confidence and determination to make a difference to the people of Pawnee would make her a perfect presidential candidate.

2. Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Successfully running a hit, fake TV show isn’t quite the same as running the country, but Liz Lemon’s passion, enthusiasm and ability to hold her own in a male-dominated industry would make her a pretty strong candidate. She sticks up for what she believes in, is completely self-assured and doesn’t take any of the criticism from her eccentric, opinionated boss, Jack Donaghey (Alec Baldwin).

3. Olivia Pope (Scandal)

Olivia Pope spends so much time helping her on-again off-again boyfriend Fitz run the country, that she may as well be President. Her extensive knowledge of politics, and the workings of the White House, would make her a more effective candidate than most of the current frontrunners.  

4. Tami Taylor (Friday Night Lights) 

High school counselor/principal Tami Taylor dedicates her life to advising and helping her students and the members of the community and fighting for people’s rights. She stands up for what she believes in, deeply cares about those around her and makes sure she is seen as far more than just a football coach’s wife. Plus, she has angel-like hair most of us can only dream of.

5. Blair Waldorf (Gossip Girl)

Scheming and bitchiness aside, Blair Waldorf is super smart, incredibly determined, and has an innate ability to dominate and control those around her. She is arguably the character who evolves the most from high school, and her fierce independence means that no one can stop her from achieving what she wants.

6. Alicia Florrick (The Good Wife)

Alicia Florrick’s ability to go from politician’s wife to a partner in her own law firm within the space of a few years, and her decision to remain married to her cheating husband so he can stay in politics, mirrors that of a certain democratic candidate. She doesn’t let her husband’s actions define her, enjoys her job most when she is using the law to actively help people, and is no stranger to rejection and scrutiny of her personal life, making her an more qualified than most of the current candidates.

7. Jess Day (New Girl)

Okay, so Jess Day isn’t the most obvious person to make a list of potential candidate to run the country. She’s clumsy, ditzy and can often seem like she’s just singing her way through life with no real purpose. But her confidence, passion and ability to hold her own in an apartment of guys all go in her favor. And who wouldn’t want a super-relatable president who is slightly quirky, always has a bit too much energy and who wrote a theme song to her own life?

Although these are clearly only made-up characters, there is a lot the current frontrunners could learn from these awesome and strong women. And while we wait for the inevitable Trump/Clinton showdown, we can continue to pray that Amy Poehler, as Leslie Knope, will step up and announce her candidacy.

Lucy is a third year political science major studying abroad at Cal Poly from London, England. In her free time she goes biking and running with the Cal Poly Triathlon Team, and enjoys out with friends, travelling and marathoning The Good Wife and New Girl on Netflix (Jess Day is her spririt animal). 
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.