7 Spring Activities To Add To Your SLO Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Spring is finally here, and it’s bringing the warm sunshine with it! If you aren’t excited about this, you should be. San Luis Obispo is a beautiful city, and there are lots of opportunities for residents to enjoy all the amazing experiences it offers during this season. We’ve compiled a list of the best ways to take advantage of the sunshine and make the most of spring in SLO!

Visit Moonstone Beach

Nestled away in Cambria, Moonstone Beach stretches from Santa Rosa Creek to Leffingwell Landing. The boardwalk and hiking trails are dog-friendly, so you can bring your four-legged best friend with you on a trip through Hearst San Simeon State Park, the preserved area that encompasses Moonstone Beach and the surrounding area.

If you prefer the ocean to dry land, you can also rent kayaks at San Simeon Cove and spend some time exploring the beautiful horizon before getting lunch at one of the charming cafes that line the streets of the town.

Go wine tasting

With over 250 wineries in SLO wine country, there is truly a winery for everyone. While some can be pretty pricey, many places have special deals for college students who are on a tight budget, but still want to have a good time.

If you want a truly unique experience, consider trying the San Luis Obispo Wine Country Bike Tour, a 10-16 mile bike trip that offers you the opportunity to see the beautiful hills of San Luis Obispo and enjoy tasting flights at ten exceptional wineries throughout the area.

Related: Adventure is Out There: Favorite Spots Around the Golden State

Visit farmer’s market

First started in the 1970s, the the farmer’s market has become a staple of San Luis Obispo culture. Every Thursday evening, six blocks of downtown Higuera Street are blocked off for hours of food, fun and farm-grown produce from every corner of SLO county.

Start off by grabbing a barbecue dinner at Mo’s or elote asado at the roasted corn booth, then meander down the street to see some of the local artists performing throughout the evening, or shop at the local boutiques open all night long.

Check out Avila Valley Barn

After you get done with a long, hot day at Avila Beach, head over to Avila Valley Barn to cool off with a glass of chilled apple cider. After that, you can take a ride on the hay wagon tour to see the beautiful farmland that surrounds the property.

If the season is right, you might even get the chance to stroll through their “u-pick patch” and get some ripe olallieberries, peaches, or apples to make a sweet dessert for your next get together with friends and family.

Catch a baseball game

What better place to enjoy the greatest American past time than at the Robin Baggett Baseball Stadium, where you can enjoy watching the Mustangs win all season long? Grab a plate of nachos and a soda, kick back and get ready to cheer on your favorite team!

If you’re part of the Stang Gang, just swipe your student ID card and receive loyalty points for attending games! Every baseball game earns one loyalty point – save up points over the year, and you can cash them in for cool rewards, like pizza at Woodstock’s or a gift card to Splash Cafe!

Related: Everything You Need to Know About Poly Escapes

Ride OHVs through Oceano Dunes

Looking for a fun outdoor activity? Rent off-highway vehicles from the Parks and Rec Department of Oceano, and take them for a ride through the sand dunes! You can rent a day pass, or spend a weekend at the local camp facilities and enjoy a whole weekend of off-roading!

Once you’ve had your fill of OHV fun, you can go swimming, surfing or fishing at Lopez Dam, or take a hike down to Pismo Beach to enjoy the ocean and see the natural wildlife that inhabits the area, including shorebirds like American kestrels and red-tailed hawks.

Eat cake at Madonna Inn

With 110 rooms, each one uniquely decorated with bright colors and whimsical furniture, the Madonna Inn is one of the most iconic hotels in San Luis Obispo County. Attached to it is the Copper Cafe, which serves the iconic pink champagne cake that is a staple at the hotel.

If that isn’t to your taste, the cake comes in several other flavors, including black forest, toffee crunch, and apple spice. After you’ve had your fill of cake, take a tour through their boutique, where you can purchase beautiful souvenirs like the iconic glassware used in the restaurant.

Although San Luis Obispo is an amazing place to travel during any occasion, spring is one of the best times of year to enjoy it. With so much to see and do, you’ll have no problem staying busy throughout the whole season!

Audrey is a senior studying agricultural sciences at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. After graduating, she plans to get a teaching credential and master's in Agricultural Education, and pursue a career as an agricultural science teacher and FFA advisor. Outside of school, she works as a teaching assistant at a local high school. In her free time, she can be found square dancing, rocking out to Taylor Swift, or whipping up tasty treats and (attempting) to take a decent photo of them for Instagram. Facebook: Audrey Lent Twitter: @TheAudreyLent Instagram: @Audrey_Lent