7 Reasons You Should Give K-Pop a Chance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Korean pop music, otherwise known as K-Pop, first took the world by storm when “Gangnam Style” literally broke YouTube’s view counter in 2012. Since then, K-Pop has become an international phenomenon, with groups like Girls’ Generation and Big Bang winning YouTube music video awards and topping digital music charts across the globe. If the thought of amazingly talented (and darn good-looking, might I add) Korean boys and girls dancing to insanely catchy music doesn’t interest you, here are seven more reasons to give K-Pop a chance:

1. K-Pop offers a huge variety of music styles to listen to.

No, K-Pop isn’t just cute girls dancing modestly to bubblegum pop, and no, you don’t have to understand Korean to enjoy the music, either. K-Pop draws its influence from a wide variety of genres, including hip hop, acoustics and R&B, so you’ll find K-Pop a song for every occasion–whether that’s getting ready to go out on a Friday night or staying in and relaxing with a cup of tea.

2. That being said, some of the craziest K-Pop songs are the best to work out to.

There’s nothing that will get your adrenaline racing like the wildest electro-banger and hip hop K-Pop beats. If you’re looking to spice up your workout playlist, check out One of a Kind by G-Dragon, Rhythm Ta by iKon, Crazy by 4Minute or Bad by Infinite.

3. K-Pop stars can DANCE.

Mere description doesn’t do their moves justice. Observe below.

4. K-Pop music videos are insane.

South Korea places huge production value in its music videos, and the results are always amazing. K-Pop music videos are a huge multimedia production, with outrageous costumes, sets and makeup to match the stars’ amazing synchronized dancing.

5. K-Pop stars work extremely hard for their fans.

Before their debut, K-Pop stars serve as trainees under their respective record labels. Some train for ten years or more before being able to finally release music. That kind of perseverance is definitely worth some acknowledgement.

6. It will teach you new words that you never knew existed.

Fangirls love calling their favorite K-Pop star oppa, a term of respect and endearment for an older male used by a younger female. There are also a bunch of English words you’ll learn different uses for, such as “bias,” which is your favorite member in a K-Pop group, or “fighting,” a term of encouragement or good luck.

7. It exposes you to a culture you might have never known anything about.

Start listening to K-Pop, and soon you’ll find yourself going down the rabbit hole–you’ll begin watching Korean dramas, paying attention to Korean fashion icons and splurging on Korean cosmetics (the K-Beauty industry is so huge right now that Urban Outfitters and Sephora have started selling Korean beauty products). It opens your eyes to a whole new world that you might never have discovered upon otherwise!

Be warned: there’s a good chance you’ll become a full-blown K-Pop addict after hearing a few songs. Proceed with caution.

I like iced coffee, red lipstick, good books, short runs, Korean rap, big dogs, warm weather, funny people and cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. Writing is fun too, I guess.  Find me on Twitter: [at]cseiter17. 
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.