body images 2019 11 27 Screen20Shot202019 11 2720at205425620PMpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 11 27 Screen20Shot202019 11 2720at205425620PMpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

7 Outerwear Pieces You Need This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

For those of us on the California coast, winter has finally arrived. No more wearing sweatshirts in the morning and tank tops after noon, no more beach days followed by rainy weather, because we now get to enjoy the crisp air for at least a few months. 

Lucky for us, winter trends have been coming down quicker than rain drops. Cozy is THE look this season, aka, a lazy girl’s dream. 

Here are seven outerwear pieces you must have this winter if you want to be on trend and keep yourself warm. 

Faux Fur Coats

Faux fur coats are one of the top trends this season, seen throughout runways for Paris Fashion Week for Fall Fashion. From longer to cropped styles, solid colors to animal prints, these coats are versitile and the ultimate layer to keep you cozy. 

Sherpa Coats

Also known as a teddy coat, these fuzzy jackets come in a multitude of colors and styles. Some are pullover styles, such as Patagonia’s classic womens sherpa coat, and some are with zippers like the ones above. They’re perfect heavy layer for those chilly mornings.

Puffer Jacket

We all remember the puffer trend from last year, but it’s back again and from what we can tell, nobody’s upset about that. These coats are perfect for those rainy days when you don’t want to pull out the faux fur or sherpa jackets, as many of those don’t handle water very well. The puffer can be layered over sweaters and T-shirts for extra warmth. These hefty coats can even be worn to the snow, if they are water resistant of course. 

Denim Trucker Jacket with Faux Fur

If you’re more of a plain Jane when it comes to fashion, you may not want to take the risk of wearing flashy faux fur jackets. If that’s the case, you can still rock faux fur, but in a more subtle way with this trend. A little twist on the denim trucker jacket classic, faux fur lined coats and collars. From animal print to natural tones, this style is perfect for a more casual setting. 

Blazers

Perfect for a night out!  Add a long blazer over your favorite mini dress, pair it with some heels and you’re ready. This trend has been seen before in 2019, but it is still seen on major street style icons, such as Bella Hadid. For a more casual look, layer the blazer with some boyfriend jeans or a matching skirt. 

Leather with Fringe

I know, cow girl vibes. Hard. But the fact is, whether you listen to country music or not, western is huge this winter. One of the biggest fashion icons out there, Hailey Baldwin, did an entire spread in Vogue showcasing western fashion for this season, including fringe jackets. You can get these jackets in classic black, or go for more of a statement by looking for whites, reds or jackets with studs.

The Longer, the Better

Whether it be faux fur, blazer or a neutral tone, the trench coat style is in. Layer it over sweaters with a pair of jeans, or throw it on over a mini dress for a chilly night out. 

For those women that live for layering up, this winter is for you. These seven styles are all the rage in regard to outerwear this season, and they can be found at a range of prices! So pick your favorites and stock up for the winter.

Current Vice President and Campus Correspondent for the Cal Poly chapter of Her Campus. Hannah is a third year Journalism student with a concentration in Public Relations at Cal Poly. Hannah is working toward a career writing for an online publication focusing on health and wellness. In her free time Hannah listens to podcasts, walks on the beach, reads self-help books, shops clean skincare and tries new plant-based recipes. On this page you'll find the articles she has written about lifestyle, health, wellness, fashion, current events and more.