This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Black History Month is an annual celebration of the achievements by African Americans and continues throughout February.

We’re taking this opportunity to emphasize some female celbrities who have advocated strongly for equal rights and other causes.

While this is not an exhaustive list of all the amazing women of color, it mentions some that have taken steps to improve and inspire many women internationally. 

Zendaya

Zendaya is known for her advocacy efforts towards many social issues. She also used her 18th, 19th and 20th birthdays as an opportunity to donate to charities. For her 18th birthday through feedONE of Convoy of Hope she hosted a fundraiser to feed over 100 malnourished children in Haiti, Tanzania and the Philippines. For her 19th birthday, she had a fundraiser with CrowdRise to raise $52,883 to date with the UNAIDS Foundation after meeting three boys in South Africa whose parents had died from AIDS. Zendaya teamed up with Convoy of Hope again for her 20th to raise $50,000 for its Women’s Empowerment Initiative.

Lizzo

If anyone knows about hard work, it’s definitly Lizzo. After releasing her first album in 2016 and three years later she became the first Black solo female R&B singer to have a top spot on the Hot 100 for her song “Truth Hurts” since Rihanna’s 2012 song “Diamonds.” Lizzo is also an advocate for self-love and body positivity as well as LGBTQ+ issues.

Yara Shahidi

Shahidi is a strong political advocate and co-founded an a political organization Eighteen x 18 that encourages youth-voters to exercise their rights. She encourages young people to be educated and is always vocal for what she believes.

Letitia Wright

Most notable for her portrayal of Shuri in Marvel’s Black Panther, Wright went on to win the BAFTA, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, Rising Star award and talked about her struggle with depression in her acceptance speech.

Beyoncé

She was named the most charitable celebrity in 2016. Beyoncé also announced she would be donating more than $100,000 to students attending Historically Black Colleges in the United States.

Rihanna 

Rihanna’s brand Fenty Beauty debuted with the largest foundation range of any brand on the market and set the precedent for future brands to make more inclusive shades and makeup for all women.

Winnie Harlow

Starting out as a contestant of America’s Next Top Model, Harlow continued on to be a spokesperson for her skin condition, vitiligo, and encourages people to follow their aspirations and embrace what makes them unique.

Let’s take this moment to celebrate all of these women and let them be an inspiration for the future.

Hi I'm Lauren! I am the Campus Correspondent at Cal Poly, SLO. I am studying journalism and hope to have a career in TV broadcasting. When I'm not running around campus with a camera interviewing people, you can find me watching makeup tutorials on Youtube. I LOVE anything beauty or skincare related and I'm always looking for new makeup products! Follow me to see makeup looks, sunset pictures in SLO and all my friends! (Oh and I have some funny tweets too!)